Wierd Cake Shape Question

Decorating By Snoop4 Updated 6 May 2010 , 9:30pm by pattycakesnj

Snoop4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snoop4 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 9

I'm doing my brothers wedding cake in July, and their request is something I've never done before. It's a Modern Victorian wedding. The main shape of the cake is about 2 ft tall, and sort of egg shaped. It has ridges in the side some what like a pumpkin. Has anyone done a cake that sounds like this?? I am not feeling so confident at this point.

8 replies
confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 9

Do you have a a pic of something similar? That would definitely help! I am having a hard time picturing that shape (not that I'll be much help anyway!).

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 9
confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

http://www.rentafakecake.com/IMG_0217.JPG

something like this??

That's cool! But funny that the website is rentafakecake!

Snoop4 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 9

here's a pic of the cake they want. I'm figuring I'll just have to stack and carve, but if anyone has suggestions I could really use any help I can get. Thanks. icon_smile.gif
LL

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 9

I think you're right, stack and carve, then unstack and insert boards and dowels. You would need to trace the carved cake to get the shape of the boards right.

If I were attempting it, I would definitely do a practice cake before the big day.

Snoop4 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:33am
post #7 of 9

I'm actually in the process of doing my practice cake now..... It's turning out to be about 6 layers for the globe part. I dont even know how many boards and dowels I should use. Pretty nervous about carving this shape. Hope I'm not in over my head.

Snoop4 Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 9

has anyone done a cake that resembles this one? I am having a really hard time covering this with fondant.... would modeling chocolate work?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 9

what about a pumpkin shaped pan, I have one that has the ridges and all, I think it is by Nordicware

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%