Need Fresh Eyes...criticism Welcome!!

Decorating By Cakelove29 Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 6:26am by Evoir

Cakelove29 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 29

Does this look unfinished? I want to go with the abstract look, am I achieving it?

28 replies
trishvanhoozer Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 29

This is beautiful. Looks complete and elegant.

TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 29

I love the finish on the cake, really cool looking. But the top tier, to me, kinda looks like an after thought or that it really isn't part of the cake. If I cover up the top then it looks complete. If I look at it as a whole to me the top just stares blankly back at you.

RobynLM Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 29

This really is beautiful! I do have to agree with TexasSugar; the top looks like it could use something.... just not sure what!

arosstx Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 29

I like it too, but agree w/ Texas Sugar. Maybe since you can't really take the top tier off, turn it about 3" towards your right and then add one more stem w/ a smaller flower coming up between the two you have, with the stem maybe coming out from the bottom of that biggest flower. Nothing big, but it would carry up to that top tier and finish it off I think. The reason I suggested that you turn it is so that the highest flower (the new one) becomes the center of the front.

Hope that made sense.

TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 29

If the middle flower was higher up I'd say extend another smaller flower up to it, not sure though.

Crabbabs Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 29

I really love the look of this! Its definitely a sleek modern look. The color is very rich and the nice texture and sheen adds to the polished look of the cake. I think it is the proportion of the flower to the proportion of the cake that is making the top tier stand out. It fills the space on the bottom two tiers very nicely, but because the flower isnt taller, the top tier looks like it isnt involved with the rest of the design. I think if you added perhaps a flower petal or leaf, or some continuation of the design (however small) to the top tier it would look complete.

dchockeyguy Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 29

I don't see this as "abstract." To me, abstract would mean something that's supposed to represent a flower that isn't actually a flower. I'd call this "Minimalist" instead of "abstract."

I think the finish is cool, but I think it actually needs a little more that just something on the top. I'm assuming this cake will only be viewed from one side?

hsmomma Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 29

Beautifully done...flawless but, have to agree...cover up the top tier and it looks more complete.

Exceptional work though.

joenshan Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 29

I say its perfect. don't touch it. I know its natural to want to see 'balance' but if you're going for abstract I think it's looks great. The lack of symmetry challenges the eye, but the cool finish keeps the whole piece together.

crp7 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 29

I love the finish on the cake. I also really like the flower. My first thought was that it needed something on the top tier but it is growing on me just like it is.

If it will be viewed on all sides what about putting a similar flower on only the middle and top tier on the opposite side of the cake? Leave the bottom tier blank.

still_learning Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 29

That cake is truly beautiful! At first I kept looking and thinking the top tier needs something but the more and more I look at it I think if you add anything it will take away from the clean look of the cake.

Dizzymaiden Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 29

Wow - beautiful colors and texture. I might have to agree with TexasSugar on the top. Just to top it off. I am not one to go overboard but I do think a 3D flower would be good. OR not...just leave as it as it is a work of ART.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:30pm
post #14 of 29

I like it. At first I wanted to say it needed something, but I like the minimalist (not abstract) thing you have going on. Like many pieces of art, the empty space is as important as the filled space.

KathysCC Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:31pm
post #15 of 29

I could go either way on this. I would have extended the flower to the third tier so that it wasn't blank but I don't think it looks bad just like it is.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of a border on the bottom tier. I think I would add the same border you added to the other tiers to the bottom and stop the border at the stem of the flower.

By the way, this is a gorgeous cake! I see what you are going for. Very unique!

KHalstead Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm
post #16 of 29

I think it would be adorable with a single little bumble bee or something on that top tier done the same way as the flower (is that done with chocolate)

I love the color and finish on the cake!!

crp7 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm
post #17 of 29

Can I just say that although I already commented that I cannot stop looking at this cake. There is something about it that just makes me keep coming back every few minutes. I love it.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:49pm
post #18 of 29

I like it. Is that fondant or buttercream

jenmat Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:49pm
post #19 of 29

I say leave it alone. Anything you add will be too much IMO.

dalis4joe Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm
post #20 of 29

gorgeous.... tell me if u did you go about getting that finish and texture on the cake???

BTW: I like the bumble bee idea... or just something minimal on top...

it's gorgeous I love the color... the detail... the texture... everything... great job!

Cakelove29 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:58pm
post #21 of 29

thank you all soooo much. My mother, whom I love dearly but have different taste, has said the same as most of you. She insists on something for the top tier. I can see that, i really can.

But then there are those out there who said to leave it, and thats what my gut instict is saying!

The Orange is done in Fondant, mixing light blue with orange gel coloring. The white and chocolate outline are out of fondant as well. the lines and detail work are cocoa powder.

Thanks everyone for the honest feedback. Its refreshing to hear other opinions.

Minimalist design...with abstract structure? i dont know-im definitely no art major!

crp7 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:25am
post #22 of 29

I say go with your gut. It is your creation.

MPH32 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:52am
post #23 of 29

Top tier needs something either on front or top. I'd suggest top.

abra526 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:04am
post #24 of 29

I'm not sure what occasion this cake was intended for, but what if you did some sort of fondant or gumpaste plaque on the side of the top tier with a monogram or something in the same colors as the flower? I absolutely love the finish of this cake!

tesso Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:10am
post #25 of 29

gorgeous cake. love the finish. I think the top tier only needs a hint of design, maybe a flower wraping from around the back, so you only see a glimpse/hint of it from the front, you can tell something is there, but you have to step to the side to completely see it.

I love oil painting, and in my early 20's i worked with a potter, she did designs like that, and i would say minimalist as well. a simple, but beautiful, design on a wide canvas, in this case.. it's cake. !!

tinygoose Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:44am
post #26 of 29

I like the bumble bee idea too. Beautiful cake btw.

OMGitsaLisa Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:54am
post #27 of 29

I'm going to agree with most everyone else and say that I think the top tier needs a little something to tie it in with the rest. If only the flower extended up higher, it would have been perfect. A bumble bee would be awfully perfect, though. Also, I don't think there's anything abstract about that cake - minimalist, sure, but it's very clearly a flower, and a realistic, if not simplistic portrayal at that. Totally not abstract. Beautiful, though.

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:56am
post #28 of 29

The cake is georgeous. At first glance it looks unfinished. Maybe the design on the second tier should flow up the top tier just a little? I don't know icon_lol.gif Follow your's beautiful as it is.

Evoir Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:26am
post #29 of 29

I say leave it.

I think we all should resist the temptation of adding more and more and more to our cakes, because then they look cluttered and ill-conceived.

I love your minimalist design...the fondant finish is plenty enough of a 'feature'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%