Cakes W/ Slice Taken Out

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm by AKS

TheCakerator Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 4

I am thinking that for my grandmas birthday I want to make the cakes that have the one slice taken out, and set on top. But my question is, once the cake piece is taken out, does it get put on a separate board and doweled into the main cake? This cake will be delivered, but only 10 minutes from home, but I certainly don't want it falling over! Also, do you ice the cake slice BEFORE it is put on the top of the cake, or after? Thanks for any help/hints!

3 replies
antonia74 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 4

I did one a few years ago, but I lay the slice on its side. To ice it though, I just filled/iced the cake as usual, chilled it for a few hours, used a clean knife to cut out the slice, lay it on top, then iced the exposed cake on the whole cake/slice carefully with a palette knife.

If I had had to stand it upright, I would have done the slice on a cake board and driven a central dowel through the whole slice/cake into the cake drum base.

TheCakerator Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 4

thank you antonia! Your cake looks awesome! I hope mine turns out half as good!

AKS Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 4

Antonia-that cake is in my faves-I love it and you executed it flawlessly. Pleas keep supplying us mere mortals with inspiration!

Quote by @%username% on %date%