Delivery Advice

Decorating By jammjenks Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm by jammjenks

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 5

I met with a bride a few months ago and she ordered a wedding cake for 4/24/10 (last Saturday). I got her work #, email address, home phone#, and the address of the wedding/reception at the tasting appt. The wedding was going to be at her home and only about 10 minutes from me. Good deal.

Fast forward to Saturday. Wedding is at 4:00 and outside, so I planned to leave my house at 3:00. All is fine.

I plugged her address into my GPS, but it did not come up. Turns out, the road is a private drive (Beaver Creek Dr.) and new. Can't be THAT hard to find, right? After all, it is only one road over from me "just off of Sam Davis Road" (according to what the MOB told me). Heck, I've lived here all my entire life! I'll surely find it.

Off I go...all the way from one end of Sam Davis Rd. to the other. No such thing as Beaver Creek Dr. Now what? Here I am at a stop sign with the wedding cake in the truck just staring at me like, "Help! Get me to my final resting place!"

All I could do was turn left and find the nearest gas station. Cashier there has never heard of Beaver Creek Dr. Customer's home # was "not available for incoming calls", the automated message said when I called it. I was on the verge of tears.

Just then, a man came in to pay for his gas. I was so desparate. I asked him if he'd ever heard of Beaver Creek Dr.

Him: There's a Beaver Creek Dr. above my house.
Me: Is it off of Sam Davis Rd.?
Him: Not really, but you can get there from Sam Davis Rd.
(here is where I tell him about the cake and all)
Me: Are you going home now?
Him: Yep.
Me: Can I follow you?
Him: Sure.

He led me right to it. I was so excited that I nearly cried again. The bride still doesn't know the trouble I had. Got home and told DH, who gave me this look -> icon_rolleyes.gif

Lessons to be learned:
1. Always get good, exact directions
2. Never assume that since it is close to you, you will be able to find it.
3. Get cell phone #s. <-- most important!
4. Allow plenty of time in case of a detour.

I'd still be driving around looking for Beaver Creek Dr. if it wasn't for that good Samaritan leading the way!

4 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 5

Thank goodness for the folks that still believe in kindness and helping others. icon_smile.gif

Glad it all worked out for you! I had a delivery once that NO ONE was there, and the venue was locked up tight. I now get several phone numbers (venue, person in charge, bride's mother!)

jammjenks Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 5

I know. I only wish I had gotten his info so I could send him some cupcakes or something.

Now that it is over, it is a funny story. Maybe it will help somebody else to make sure to have more info than they think they'll need. You'd think I'd know that by now. icon_redface.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 5

I had one similar. Name of reception facility was a country club that I was familiar with. Oh sure! I know where that is! I pull up and find out the country club is NOT where the rehearsal dinner is being held! I have a van full of hot food and no idea where to go!

Country club tells me "oh this happens all the time." Seems there is an apartment complex with the same name just up the road. I go there. Mgr has no idea what I'm talking about. Oh crap!

I have to call the groom's mom (who is paying for the rehearsal dinner) and thank HEAVENS she answered the phone and got info. Although it was difficult because she was from out of town and wasnt' too sure herself!

Like you .... lesson learned! Never ASSUME you know what place they are talking about! icon_redface.gif

jammjenks Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 5

I know some who make a practice run prior to the event to make sure the way and the road conditions. Great thing to do, if you have extra time on your hands. Not something I usually have.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%