New Scam, Different Day

Business By costumeczar Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 6:44am by Evoir

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 24

Add this one to the list. I get the happy marrige life one on a regular basis, I've also received some for limo rentals and catering, but never this one.

Hello,
How are you doing today ? My name is Miky Fare I want to book for Cake Decorating Classes with you while on a 3weeks holidays in your country.We are a group of 10 people seeking for Cake Decorating training while on holidays and as part of our plans we need Cake Decorating classes/private lessons.

We shall be needing a Cake Decorating classes for the whole 2weeks in your area.
I would like to book for 2weeks classes for 3 hours each day Monday to Saturday (morning hours) for a group of 10. We are asking for 3 hours per day for 2weeks - Monday - Saturday. A total of 36 hrs.
Do you have a training facility where you conduct classes? We can arrange for this,if not available. Do you have rooms or is there any hotel close to your facility?
DATE: 21May2010 TO 29May2010
I would love to know the possibility of working with you during this period.Kindly get back to me with your proposals so that we can make booking asap.
The group would be performing for a group of family members over there. I would love to get the total cost or a quote/estimate. What are your payment options? Do you accept credit cards? I would be grateful if you will be willing to do the work to teach quality classes and make us happy
Regards
MIKY FARE
Unity Consultancy
14 Peters Lane, Cowcross Street,
EC1M 6DS United Kingdom

23 replies
Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 24

Not smart to put London as an address- most people in England have better English than us, not worse!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 24

I've seen this same email posted by someone else. If they can't get you one way, they try another!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 24

They try this with ballroom dancing lessons also. And ballroom gowns on sale/consignment. They'll do it with anything that can be sold. As the standard warning on craigslist says:

Quote:
Quote:

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 24

Gee, I can't figure out why you're so suspicious... that seems TOTALLY above board to me! Give 'em my address and I'll teach the class!

icon_confused.gif

I hope you see the sarcam there! icon_lol.gif These people make me sick. GET A REAL JOB YOU LAZY HORSES BACKEND!!!

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 24

I know these kind of emails or a pita but with all this info, real or not, I would print it out & forward to your State's Attorney General's office. They are asking if you accept credit cards. They may want to be using stolen credit cards or snatch your cc # somehow. Better yet, (I think) forward the email to the AG. This way I think they can then get the ISP address where the email came from.

Melvira Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 24

Ooh, wait, no! I know you shouldn't EVER reply because that just validates your email address, but if I were GOING to reply it would be something like...

"I will for to be accepting in abundance your offer which teaching to you of the cake decorating. For paying you will use US legal tender in small non sequential unmarked bills." (Note the perfect English in that phrase) "I am having a room for the teaching of the cake decorating good. You paying will be extra expense for materials of the cake decorating. Thank you, and my @ss you will for to be kissing! Good day!"

Please note I am not mocking anyone who does not speak English, or who has great difficulty in doing so. That is completely NOT the point of this message. And I promise when I try to steal all your money, I'll learn whichever language you speak in it's entirety first. thumbs_up.gificon_rolleyes.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 24

I've had this exact same person contact me...............it was really crazy because they contacted me about 3 days after I added to my website that I do cake decorating classes and parties.

I basically assumed anyone telling ME when and where and what times and days of the week I would be holding my classes couldn't be serious!! And if they were, they weren't hiring me because I dictate my schedule AND my classes not my customers!!

I told him I would designate times and days and that I only accept paypal.........they said "thanks anyhow B****" lol

Iggy Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Ooh, wait, no! I know you shouldn't EVER reply because that just validates your email address, but if I were GOING to reply it would be something like...

"I will for to be accepting in abundance your offer which teaching to you of the cake decorating. For paying you will use US legal tender in small non sequential unmarked bills." (Note the perfect English in that phrase) "I am having a room for the teaching of the cake decorating good. You paying will be extra expense for materials of the cake decorating. Thank you, and my @ss you will for to be kissing! Good day!"

Please note I am not mocking anyone who does not speak English, or who has great difficulty in doing so. That is completely NOT the point of this message. And I promise when I try to steal all your money, I'll learn whichever language you speak in it's entirety first. thumbs_up.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I said to forward the original email she got to her State Attorney General's office not reply to the sender. Good gracious no. I forwarded a scam email to my ISP provider and they sent me an email back saying they appreciated me sending it since they have a department that follows up on these to try & see where they come from. It's extremely hard to catch any of them, but hey, you never know. I just don't open anything from anybody that I haven't given permission to use my email address. But that's just me. OH Yeah..... I forgot.... Melvira, I'm sitting here and LMAO!!!! Great response!!!! LOL

Melvira Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 24

Oh no, Iggy, I TOTALLY got what you were saying and I COMPLETELY agree!! I know these people go to great pains to not be detectable, but you never know when they may slip up and the FBI could glean something from an email. I am glad you enjoyed my reply though. I cannot tell you how many times I've wanted to set up a bogus email account JUST to reply to these people.

KHalstead... that is awful! I am glad you are able to have a sense of humor about it because you certainly don't deserve to be spoken to in such a manner. thumbsdown.gif I feel so sorry about how people act these days. I know there have always been 'bad people' and 'bad manners', but it just seems to grow and grow. icon_cry.gif

Iggy Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:57pm
post #11 of 24

Melvira, you are sooooooooooooo right. icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm
post #12 of 24

I got one last weekend pretending to be deaf, called me at 7am by relay service for the deaf. When I gave them my email address, I received an email from the same Steven Nicole I've received scam emails from 3 times before. It's a whole new low to pretend your deaf jsut so someone stays on the phone.

Thanks for the heads up costume.

Melvira Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:40pm
post #13 of 24

Grrrrrr torchwood!! That makes ME mad and I wasn't even involved. But one of my best friends in high school, his parents were deaf and that relay service is a Godsend. Way to abuse it ya jerks!!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:00pm
post #14 of 24

And naturally, the email wrote: "Happy Married Life" icon_mad.gif

It was my weekend to sleep in and I woke up for that??

Melvira Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:37pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwood

It was my weekend to sleep in and I woke up for that??

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif That's a beating-worhty offense right there. I know exactly how that feels!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:45pm
post #16 of 24

Sometimes I do reply to them, because they know it's a live email address, it's all over my website. I used to mess with them to see how long it would take for them to figure out I knew they were scammers, but now I just tell them to suck it.

One of my neighbors works for the white-collar crime commission here, so I could just send them to him, but it's pretty much impossible for them to trace out-of-country scams like that.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:07am
post #17 of 24

Sad thing is that some people do fall for these scams!! That is what keeps them motivated!! (I actually know two people who have accepted money orders from these scammers - only to get burnt.)

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:08am
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

personally i prefer to add "if you are male, i require your left testical to be mailed to me 6 weeks prior to the course taking place"

i add a similar line on my ebay stuff when im selling hubbys old cell phones... i get alot of nigerian bidders for cell phones for some reason

Melvira Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:12am
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

...but now I just tell them to suck it.

Hehehehe... we'd get along SO well! icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

...it's pretty much impossible for them to trace out-of-country scams like that.

I know, isn't it sickening? There are so many clever ways that they cover their tracks. Ergh!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:21am
post #20 of 24

My aging grandma got a scam call from someone pretending to be my brother, asking for $3500 to bail him out of jail! Of course it made my grandma very upset but my uncle immediately called my brother and of course my brother is just fine, he is married and works ATC in Alaska!

A couple weeks later I heard that the same scam is affecting alot of elderly folks. One was successfully scammed out of $10,000. Its so sad. Geez, leave the old folks alone!!!!

Melvira Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:34am
post #21 of 24

Hahahah, MrsA, you are SO naughty! (We'd get along really well too!!!)

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:43am
post #22 of 24

So, clearly its a scam - I get that...but why are they wanting to book and pay for courses? Are they just trying to inconvenience you (like, you go book a hotel conference centre etc for 2 weeks)...or is there a point where they ask for your account details to deposit money? Still, that would not allow them to withdraw money from your account...?

I haven't seen this type of scam before, can someone tell me how they end up with YOUR money if you DO happen to go along with their ridiculous ideas??

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #23 of 24

They send you too much money and then ask you to send the extra back to them. By the time you have figured out the money order or whatever is fake, they already have your money.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:44am
post #24 of 24

Thanks Valerie!

Isn't it amazing how some people make it their 'career' to scam money off decent hard-working folks?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%