Durable Cake For 3D And Wedding Cakes Question

Baking By infinitsky Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm by iamcakin

infinitsky Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everybody,

Will someone please tell me if I can use whole eggs instead of 4 large egg whites from ingredient list?

The recipe is on cc --->
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

I always plan to use the egg yolks, but it never happens and I have to throw those in trash.

If I can substitute whole eggs instead egg whites, then what size eggs should I use?
2 large eggs or 2 jumbo eggs?

Egg white from one large egg is 33g (the recipe asks for 4 egg whites or 132g egg whites)

One large whole egg is 53g

One jumbo whole egg is 63g

I do not want to sacrifice the taste and texture of the cake though!!

Please give me some guidance and thank you for your time in advance.

5 replies
tastyart Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 6

I know there will be some bakers on here who dissagree with me, but my rule of thumb is that you can replace two egg whites with one whole egg. It has always worked for me. I use only whites if I want a truely white cake. I always hate wasting the yolks too.

Rhonda19 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 6

I use whole eggs in the WASC instead of egg whites... I think it calls for 4 egg whites, and I use 4 whole eggs....

Which cake recipe do you prefer?? The WASC or the Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes recipe??

iamcakin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

I know there will be some bakers on here who dissagree with me, but my rule of thumb is that you can replace two egg whites with one whole egg. It has always worked for me. I use only whites if I want a truely white cake. I always hate wasting the yolks too.

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

tastyart Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 6

I use the WASC for regular and 3D cakes.

iamcakin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 6

I use the DH enhanced recipe:

1 box mix
1 stick butter, melted
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon vanilla

It's always moist, and the crumb is dense enough for carving. Sturdiness for stacking isn't a concern for me because I always use SPS.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%