Help! Use Real Ribbon On Cake

Decorating By pregu2 Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 10:22am by tarheelgirl

pregu2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pregu2 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 19

The last time I put store bought ribbon on a cake it had grease spots on it. I have to do a wedding cake and they want silver, satin, ribbon. How can I prevent it from getting grease spots from my butter cream icing?

18 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 19

You can stick it to clear mac-tac, make sure the ribbon is not wider than the mac-tac so it doesn't touch the cake.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 19

I tend to use the satin plastic ribbon that you get for gift wrapping and flower bunch tying. My cake decorating supplier stocks it, but you can get it almost everywhere. It comes in all colours and never gets oily or wet from the cake beneath. You can use some edible glue to stick it onto fondant also. And it tears easily for customising the right width needed.

I am leery of using contact (adhesive) plastic on the back of ribbons, after reading it is not foodsafe here on CC. But you could put the satin plastic ribbon I mentioned above on first, then adhere THAT with double sided tape to your fabric ribbon maybe?

HTH!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 19

I cut wax paper to the exact size of my ribbon. No grease spots and since ribbon isn't food safe it protects my cake as well icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I cut wax paper to the exact size of my ribbon. No grease spots and since ribbon isn't food safe it protects my cake as well icon_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Quote:

thumbs_up.gif

ditto

Shelley0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley0323 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 19

You can take your ribbon and place it on a piece of wax paper, then iron it. I am not sure of the exact science that happens, but some how when the wax paper heats up, it transfer like a "seal" onto your ribbon. Works everytime for me.

thescrapmaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thescrapmaster Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:40am
post #8 of 19

Oh, I was wondering how this was done too. TFS everyone!

Evoir Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:44am
post #9 of 19

We must have different waxed paper down under, because that ironing method has never worked for me!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:02am
post #10 of 19

I had a bride who wanted real ribbon and what I did was to ice the back of the entire ribbon so the absorbtion would be consistent throughout. Just remember you would need to start with a ribbon that is a few shades lighter than the color she wants to end up with.

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:29am
post #11 of 19

Now I am excited to try and iron wax paper onto ribbon. I have NEVER been excited to try ironing. Caking is amazing! icon_biggrin.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:34am
post #12 of 19
Quote:

thumbs_up.gif yup, i havent tried the ironing but will have to give it a try.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:46am
post #13 of 19

I have tried the ironing but it didn't work. Is there a special kind of wax paper that works better. How would freezer paper work to iron on? I think it has more wax. Contact paper is used to line cupboard shelves which sometimes come in contact w/food, so it doesn't seem like a huge problem. Then again I really don't know! Someone needs to invent a ribbon for cakes, food safe and grease proof besides fondant.

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:48am
post #14 of 19

I haven't tried ironing the ribbon to the wax paper but I will give that a try thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:50am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiecake

I have tried the ironing but it didn't work. Is there a special kind of wax paper that works better. How would freezer paper work to iron on? I think it has more wax. Contact paper is used to line cupboard shelves which sometimes come in contact w/food, so it doesn't seem like a huge problem. Then again I really don't know! Someone needs to invent a ribbon for cakes, food safe and grease proof besides fondant.

That's a great idea. Ribbon for cakes. I'd buy it thumbs_up.gif

Evoir Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:41am
post #16 of 19

Yeah, that's why I use the satin-y ribbon that is actually made of plastic from the cake decorating stores! They've already invented it, LOL...

dess1023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dess1023 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:08am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

satin-y ribbon that is actually made of plastic from the cake decorating stores!

The ribbon from my cake store is for bags. I know for a fact they are not food-safe, be careful with that, you can't think it's food-safe just because it is sold in a cake decorating store.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:18am
post #18 of 19

Check this out.. food safe ribbon that will not absorb anything. thumbs_up.gif

www. s u g a r c r a f t. com

sugarcraft, check their website and they have a variety of colors

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:22am
post #19 of 19

Well, it totally blocked the website.. if you'd like to know the website just pm me! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%