Help On How To Do This Cake Please

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 10:08am by Caths_Cakes

katies_cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:42am
post #1 of 14

after doing my first wedding cake at the weekend iv had alot of interest in my cakes! icon_biggrin.gif a friend has asked for this type of cake for her wedding, (see photo below) this is the photo she has sent me. i have a few questions...
1) how are the middle supports done, i assume they are cke dummys? or is there another way? also do i still need to use the dowel support system inside the cakes?

2) cala lilly's?? iv necer done those before does anyone have any helpful tips/advice etc for me? also any links to how tos, videos etc would be AMAZING! (i dont know where to start!) icon_confused.gif

3) the little diamond/sparkly gems, where can i find these, what are they called, are they edible and how can i attach them to the cake?

thank you all so much in advance for your help and kindness! the wedding is in two months so i really need to pull my socks up! lol

13 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:05am
post #2 of 14

1 ) Yes, they are dummy's , and yes, you will still need supports in the bottom two tiers.

2) There are four parts to this tutorial by tonedna, You can find them all at youtube, here is the first http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUIjP1zRhH4&feature=related
Also, there is this post with lots of flower tutorials in it http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-654803-0.html

3) To me, it looks like small white 'piped' Dots, I assume this is what you mean by the sparkley gems

HTH icon_smile.gif x

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:06am
post #3 of 14

I love doing calla lilies. Here is a link to Edna's videos about how to do calla lilies. There are several parts of the videos and the link is to the first one. I found this to be the best method, for me icon_smile.gif, to make them.

katies_cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:18am
post #4 of 14

thankyou both so much! caths_cakes: piped dots makes way more sense to me too! but the bride said they were gems??? (think i will go with dots! lol) thank you for the links, thats just what i needed! also... if i use 10", 8" and 6" cakes what size dummy cakes should i use beneth each tier?

i know this is a touchy subject but... how much is a reasonable price for a cke like this? i was going to quote £280 (U.K) i know everywhere is differnt but just a guide would be great, i dont want to be too cheap (thats my biggest problem at the moment) and iv not done one like this befoe!

thanks again!

katies_cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:38am
post #5 of 14

iv just thought, what do i do with the underneath of each cake tier? do i still use a cake circle? i dont want the underneath to look messy so waht do i do to make it look tidy? also how safe are the tiers seen as they overhang quite a bit? will they sag or break?

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:59am
post #6 of 14

Those flowers are anthuriums.

The cake dummies and dowels will support the tiers. If you think about it, we put four dowels in the middle of a tier and plop the next one on, and it's those dowels that support the upper tier, not the cake it's sitting on. As far as making the undersides look tidy, unless the cake is sitting up on a really high table, the undersides won't show. I would probably use two cake circles, depending on how sturdy they are.

Caths_Cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:01am
post #7 of 14

Im from the uk to katie, so i know just what you mean. But dont forget, its going to cost for the dummys and the ribbon to decorate them! I would say 280/300 is a very fair price for a 3 tier cake, Sponge or fruit? My local cake shop does a sponge 3 tier, for 6 8 and 10 at 405.

There definately not gems, But i can see why the bride thought that, to me it looks like royal icing icon_smile.gif I would go for the dummys to be 2 inches smaller than the sizes of the cake , so cake 10, 8 , 6, Have your dummys 8,6,4

Personally i would use cake drums, the thick ones, rather than boards, much much more stable, So they shouldnt sag or break if you use the drums, but making sure you have good supports in the bottom two tiers ( obviously only under the dummys) And to keep it neat, Buy drums the same sizes as your cakes, then when you decorate, your icing should just nicely over lap the edge of the board and youll get a very clean finish

yums Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:28am
post #8 of 14

Wilton makes what is used in between the cakes...They are called tailored tiers cake display kit. It comes with separator plates. I just bought a set on clearance for $12.

Ballymena Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:18pm
post #9 of 14

These are not calla lilies, they are antherium.

katies_cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:24pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks again everyone. cake drums it is then! the bride asked for cala lillys or daisys. i think daisys would be easier but i would like to try my hand at cala lillys. i will ask my local bakery for thier price guides. thanks caths_cakes For the price info, its very helpful! icon_biggrin.gif [/quote]

katies_cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:24pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks again everyone. cake drums it is then! the bride asked for cala lillys or daisys. i think daisys would be easier but i would like to try my hand at cala lillys. i will ask my local bakery for thier price guides. thanks caths_cakes For the price info, its very helpful! icon_biggrin.gif [/quote]

Evoir Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:37pm
post #12 of 14

Just be sure you are sure she wants CALLA and not ANTHURIUM lilies - the ones in your photo are anthurium.

katies_cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:44pm
post #13 of 14

Ill message her now and check that she knows that these are not calla lillys. thanks

Caths_Cakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:08am
post #14 of 14

Good luck when it comes to doing the cake, Please do show us a photo icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%