Cake Decorators Deserve More

Lounge By Gingi Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 7:58pm by costumeczar

Gingi Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:04am
post #1 of 5

Whats with the television industry giving $25,000 to the winners of Ultimate Recipe Showdown and only $10,000 to the winners of the Food Network Cake Challenges.

Our cake decorators have more training, experience, and have to create a masterpiece in 8 hours versus preparing two recipes (many that fail while being prepared on the air). I wrote the Food Network an e-mail but of course did not get an answer. I think cake decorators are worth and deserve so much more. Dont you all think the same? ?

4 replies
JaimeAnn Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:42am
post #2 of 5

I have thought this before aslo!

$10,000 is nothing considering the decoraters have to leave thier real jobs for the time to go compete, ship all of thier items there, and provide all thier own supplies for the challenge. I dont know if they are reimbursed for the stuff it takes to make the cake but on the sugar sculpture challenge I recently watched , one of the contestans Pallets was lost by the shipping company. He said it was $4000 worth of stuff not including what it cost to ship the stuff.

Does anyone know if the expenses incured to compete are the responsibility of the competitors?????? Or if they at least get some sort of compensation for appearing on the show even if they don't win???????

TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 5

There was a post about the challenge on TLC and they got for doing it.

I can say though one thing, is that they can go back and use the challenge in their advertising, even if they didn't win, just being on the show is a good tool to drawl people into wanting their products.

My guess is that it is more about bragging rights and exposure than it is about winning the money. Think about people like Mike McCarey? How many people really knew his name before he went on the challenge and now he is traveling around teaching others the craft of cake.

emrldsky Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 5

I like to think that the decorators are OK with receiving just the $10k. From what I've experienced here (recent cruddy members and some activity aside), we're an extremely helpful, loving, and open group.

I don't think it's merely about the money, or even about the exposure for their own name, but rather sharing the experience with millions of people. How many of us would never have gotten our hands into cake decorating, esp with fondant, if it wasn't for those shows?

Oh wait, are my rose-colored glasses showing again? icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

I like to think that the decorators are OK with receiving just the $10k. From what I've experienced here (recent cruddy members and some activity aside), we're an extremely helpful, loving, and open group.

I don't think it's merely about the money, or even about the exposure for their own name, but rather sharing the experience with millions of people. How many of us would never have gotten our hands into cake decorating, esp with fondant, if it wasn't for those shows?

Oh wait, are my rose-colored glasses showing again? icon_wink.gif

Yeah...It's for the money and the exposure icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%