Mother's Day Chocolate Cake

Baking By lavega21 Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 4:31pm by dalis4joe

lavega21 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:46am
post #1 of 5

Hi All,

I stumbled upon this site while looking for cake recipe ideas. My kids and I want to bake a chocolate cake for my wife (Mother's day). Her favorite cakes are chocolate cakes and we also want to decorate the cake.

Would anyone please recommend a chocolate recipe cake (easy/entry level lol)? If possible a detail recipe from start to finish. I was checking out the Wilton site and they have some nice decor ideas. Thank you all for you time.

Lavega21

4 replies
cupcake_cutie Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:12am
post #2 of 5

This cake is pretty good and easy! Hope this helps!

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING(recipe follows)

Directions:1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.

VARIATIONS:
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

Ballymena Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:17am
post #3 of 5

You can always jazz up a cake mix. Follow the chocolate cake mix directions and add 1 package of chocolate instant pudding and substitute sour cream for the water. Follow baking directions on box.

lavega21 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 5

cupcake_cutie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide that recipe...icon_smile.gif

Ballymena,

Thank you for your suggestion as well. We want to do something different and more personal.

I'm not sure anymore....but I got the kids all excited that I cant turn back now LOL.

dalis4joe Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 5

aawwwwwww that is soooo super sweet.... what u r planning for your wife... I am pretty sure that she will be thrilled at the fact that u even took the time to go looking for a special recipe and the kids helped out... good luck to you and your wife should be very happy to have such a thoughful hubby

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%