Someone Please Help Me With My Edible Images.....

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 7:10pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:59am
post #1 of 8

I am trying edible images. I have the image printed on a frosting sheet. Peels off PERFECT.

I want to apply it to a piece of fondant so I can stand it up.

1. It will not stick to the fondant....

2. When I add water to fondant it will stick a little.

3. When goint to cut the excess fondant away from the image, the image wants to pull with it and crack...

4. How long do I wait in between the image being applied to the fondant and me cutting the excess fondant away??

5. I rolled the fondant out pretty thick. IT is not thin at all, is this a issue?

Please someone help me. Any tips is greatly appreciated!!!

Take care.....

7 replies
HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:11am
post #2 of 8

Just a suggestion, cut your edible images with the backing on before attaching to cake. It makes it so much easier. To attach to fondant, use a water spray bottle that sprays a mist to fondant just to area so that it is slightly wet or use a slightly damp paper towel and lightly dab the area that you are placing the image on. When working with BC, I've just cut the image, pull the backing off ( sometimes I run it over the side of the table), then place on cake. Keep reading, I sure you will get more response. But, I hope this helps.
Hammy Best Wishes

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:53am
post #3 of 8

I agree, do not peel the back off until ready to apply. I use a very thin coat of BC -that works well for me.
Sorry, but I am not clear on why you are cutting fondant around the image. It is best to cut the size of fondant you need BEFORE applying the image. HTH!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:03am
post #4 of 8

Just a question, did you allow the fondant to dry 1st before adding the edible image? For an edible image picture I put in a frame for a baby shower, the frame was dried before adding edible image. I attached with piping gel. Just brushed a thin layer to the dried fondant square, same for the rice paper edible image on another cake. HTH
Hammy

Mikel79 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:04am
post #5 of 8

Thank you all!

PhotoFrost1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhotoFrost1 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 8

Defenitely do not remove before you are ready to use, you can also try using a little tylose on the area where you are placing the image. I find this works well.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 8

It's best to cut out your shape with an Xacto knife while the image is still attached to the backing. Yes, you'll be cutting around it twice, but you see what happens when you try to cut off the excess icing sheet after it's on the fondant.

Roll your fondant pretty thin. For stand-up pieces it's best to add some tylose to your fondant or just use gumpaste.

Slightly moisten the still-soft fondant with a damp paper towel. It should just be shiny and tacky.

Peel the backing off your image and stick it to the fondant.

Take your Xacto knife and trim the excess fondant away from your image. You may have to wipe your blade a couple of times during this process.

Place your fondant backed image on a piece of foam sponge to dry. Placing it on a non-porous surface may cause it to wrinkle and it will take a lot longer for it to dry.

Mikel79 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone!!

I got a nice night's sleep and tried it again. I found that when I left me image on the fondant to dry a few hours then go back, it was much, much, much easier to cut. I was able to cut clean edges!!

Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%