I Love My New Cake Safe!

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 12:19am by christeena

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 32

I just have to rave about my new Cake Safes I got. I got to use them for the first time for 2 deliveries this past weekend, and let me tell you, coming from someone who has always dreaded and stressed about deliveries, these are the answer to my delivery prayers! I was absolutely amazed at how quickly I could get them delivered and be on my way. No more hauling 3-4 boxes of tiers of cake. No more bringing borders and pearls and spatulas and a bunch of extra icing and all those other tools I need to assemble on site. No more trying to keep my concentration while centering a tier onto a plate or pipe a border while curious bystanders are asking me a dozen different questions. Nope! I drove to the venue at a normal speed, didn't stress about every turn or bump or upcoming traffic light or abrupt stop, brought the cake into the venue (and heard lots of oohs and aahs over my cool box), unpacked it from the Safe, set the topper on, and left! I am so happy with my new Cake Safes! I also have to say that Scott Chapin who owns and runs and makes these safes is awesome to work with and is super fast at getting any questions answered. Having these Safes will definitely allow me to take more orders on in the future too. I look at them as a great investment that will pay for themselves in many ways. I highly, highly recommend them to anyone who has been considering them. Do it! You won't be sorry!!! icon_smile.gif

31 replies
korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:43am
post #2 of 32

Ok, I'll bite. What's the web site or how about a picture of the product. You don't really tell what exactly these things are.

ChristysCakes88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristysCakes88 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:55am
post #3 of 32

Ohhh I just saw these a few days ago. Looks really neat but sooo expensive for me anyways. I'm sure if I had a bakery that I would LOVE to have one but since i only bake out of my home, I could never justify the cost!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:57am
post #4 of 32

Those do look really cool but it's quite an investment.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:04am
post #5 of 32

What's a cake safe?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:07am
post #6 of 32

www.cakesafe.com

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #7 of 32

icon_eek.gif Good Lord, did you see those prices??? No thank you, I'll stick to my cardboard boxes setting up at the venues. icon_rolleyes.gif

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:28am
post #8 of 32

duh! what a simple concept... why didn't I think of this first?!?

thanks for sharing!
diem321 icon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:43am
post #9 of 32

holey moley. That's crazy expensive.
I'll use my SPS, and YES I certainly have tipped a cake in just that same manner to demonstrate SPS.
And I've just started using the BakeryCrafts delivery box system that sort of goes along with SPS. Geez the box is $17 or so (and reusable) and doesn't put a freakin hole thru my cake.

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:45am
post #10 of 32

What a wonderful idea! Too much for my small wallet but if I did more weddings, I would think seriously about the investment.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:30am
post #11 of 32

Leah, can you post a link to the new bakery craft boxes? I tried to google them but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. The cake safe is definately out of my budgeticon_smile.gif thanks in advance.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:24am
post #12 of 32

I have a Cake Safe and it is fabulous. Yes, it is expensive but it is worth it. I love not having to put cakes together on site.

I am a freak about cake safety and this makes it so easy. I also use Stress Free rings in my cakes (did I mention I am a freak about cake safety?).

I know that if something happened to a cake that I could refund their money and that would be it but I don't ever want to be the one to break someone's heart on their wedding day!

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:55am
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

..... and doesn't put a freakin hole thru my cake.

treat me as an idiot because i know nothing but doesnt the dowels/sps put mutliple holes thru the cake so how is it any better/worse?

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:47am
post #14 of 32

the cake safe looks like a great concept.... but really $4-500? I think theyd have sold a whole lot more of them if they were marketed at a more reasonable price point say $200? MHO. I'll wait and see if the price comes down or a competitor comes up with a less expensive option.

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:16am
post #15 of 32

It seems like a great idea but I wouldn't want a big hole through my cake! Cake is fragile enough as it is & I can't see how putting a big metal rod through it isn't going to de-stabilise it even more. I think I'll just stick to dragging my grumpy DH with me lol

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:28pm
post #16 of 32

I deliver all of my cakes FULLY assembled (I can't imagine going through the hassle of assembling on-site) and have never had a problem. I'm sure the cake safe does what it's supposed to do, but that expense is INSANE and I could never see spending that much for something that just seems unnecessary to me. I also wouldn't want to drive that rod through my cake--85-90% of my designs do NOT have toppers, and then I'd have to worry about patching a hole in all of my cakes (I construct my with a center dowel in such a way that there is no hole in the top tier).

Glad that it works for you, but I just can't see this being worth that expense.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:33pm
post #17 of 32

The BakeryCraft boxes aren't new. I was just to cheap to pay for them until recently.

https://www.bakerycrafts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=68&WebTab=WEDDING&TabCategory=WAKPRGM&ItemType=AKDSBOX

PinkZiab Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:37pm
post #18 of 32

I just watched the "Traveling to NY" video on the cake safe page and got the BIGGEST chuckle. The "Winner--Cynthia on Long Island" that they delivered the cake safe to, is actually Chef Cynthia Piethman (http://www.cakeline.com/) who is a SUPER-talented decorator, and was also my very first Chef-Instructor in culinary school!

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:14pm
post #19 of 32

WOW! icon_surprised.gif I am astonished at the... lets say...frugalness of some of you business people. I thought the prices were appropriate and I'm a home hobby baker. I would think that at the prices listed for your cakes on some your websites you would understand the concept of making a living through your "creations".

PinkZiab Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:43pm
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kake4me2

WOW! icon_surprised.gif I am astonished at the... lets say...frugalness of some of you business people. I thought the prices were appropriate and I'm a home hobby baker. I would think that at the prices listed for your cakes on some your websites you would understand the concept of making a living through your "creations".

I'm not saying the prices aren't appropriate for what you're getting, I just think its an unnecessary expense, when a cake can be delivered fully assembled without such a contraption (and without leaving a HOLE in the top of the cake lol). I even have customers pick up tiered cakes when they don't want to pay delivery--in those cases they get packed into a plain old up-ended cardboard shipping box.

The ONLY way I could see one of those being useful is, as in one of their videos, flying with a finished cake--it could definitely come in handy for that. But that's not really an issue for me at this point lol.

Lilydoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lilydoodle Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:49pm
post #21 of 32

I am new to Cake Central but not new to the cake business. I came across this post and I have a few things to say about these transportation boxes.
I have been baking wedding cakes for 25 years. I stressed every time I had to deliver a wedding cake. I assembled some of my cakes on site. I have lost a couple of cakes over the years and never ever want to experience that again.
I purchased 2 of the first Cake safe boxes last summer. I will never ever go back to the old way of delivering my wedding cakes. Since I purchased them, Scott contacted me last winter and offered to upgrade both of my boxes to his new design for free! How many companies do this? Dealing with Scott & Juli has been a real pleasure.
Since using these boxes I have:
1.)  I stopped using the SPS system and now use plastic support dowels and cardboard disks. This saves me about 10-15 dollars per cake.
2.)  I have increased my daily business by at least 2 cakes. Before these boxes I could only delivery 2 cakes a day now I can easily deliver 4 with no problem. This has increased my income.
3.)  I have other people deliver my wedding cakes for me when I am not available with no worries. How many people can claim that? This allows me to take orders when I normally would have to refuse them.
4.)  My cakes stay clean, cool and in perfect condition every time.
5.)  The dowel down the middle is not an issue. We all dowel our cakes with lots of dowels, this is just one more and there is always a way to cover the tiny hole in the top. I would rather have the one tiny hole and have a completely secure cake and insure my deliveries every time.
6.)  There is nothing left at the venue to go back and pick up. No SPS parts nothing. This saves me time and money.
In my opinion, These boxes in one season have already paid for themselves in my increased business and profits on each wedding cake and I love them. They also get lots of responses from the folks at the venue I deliver to and they are all very impressed by the box, this increases my business impression that I am very serious about my cakes. I am going to get a couple more very soon to go to the next level.
Lily

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #22 of 32

I have one here that I have not had the chance to use yet. It will be put to use in May a lot though! I have to ditto the above about Scott and Julie - the owners of the company. They without a doubt, are the kind of business people I want to be associated with. Kind, polite, very professional and very knowledgable about their product....and they stand behind it 100%.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:38pm
post #23 of 32

I have one as well, I won mine! So I didn't pay anything for it.......but I did ruin someone's wedding day (which is why I won the cake safe, since my horror story was worse than the others submitting), so in a way I did "pay" something for it! lol

I love it!! As far as the "big ol' hole" it puts in your cakes.......seriously, the metal dowel is probably a 1/4" metal rod that goes down the cakes and once I pulled it out of the cake, a tad of the icing kinda popped up with the rod and I took my finger and tapped it back down and the hole was completely covered and seemless. It was actually easier to hide than the finger dents I used to put in my cakes assembling on-site all the time!

As for the price tag, it is high...but if you see/touch one of these boxes you'll see why. It's not a piece of cardboard or a flimsy piece of plastic. It's acutally like a corrugated plastic of some sort that is clear (so you can see your cake when you're driving....can't do that w/ cardboard) and the corrugation on it keeps the outside temp. from affecting it (cardboard doesn't help when it's 95, but this does), so your cake stays nice and cool inside the box at the temperature you packed it up at.

The base of the cake safe is thick and heavy duty plastic, almost like some cutting boards are made of, and then the metal rod for the center I believe is food grade stainless steel.
So I understand the price point since everything it's made with is a top quality product.

Honestly, I'm already setting a side a little money from each cake order to get myself another one to house my BIG BOY cakes that are 5 tiers and over!

I hope to never have to assemble on site ever again!!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:26pm
post #24 of 32

I personally can't wait to get mine...I have two wedding cakes to deliver this summer already and have a feeling I have another two anniversary cakes that will need to be done after that...all of these cakes are to be delivered over 2 hours away and to be able to do that without the worry...it would be an answered prayer! So my dh knows this is top of my list...and yes, for now it's even knocked the cricut down to #2. The cricut will be a fun toy but the cakesafe is needed this summer. And, yes, to be able to deliver a wedding cake in one stacked piece...whew! That would be GREAT! Now I just have to figure out what size I want to buy!

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:46pm
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

As far as the "big ol' hole" it puts in your cakes.......seriously, the metal dowel is probably a 1/4" metal rod that goes down the cakes

I have to admit it, looking at the video, I thought the rod was a lot thicker than that.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:01am
post #26 of 32

I think they are a great idea but do they work on cakes with pillars?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:13pm
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyoldpoohbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

As far as the "big ol' hole" it puts in your cakes.......seriously, the metal dowel is probably a 1/4" metal rod that goes down the cakes

I have to admit it, looking at the video, I thought the rod was a lot thicker than that.

I think it actually says it's 3/8"! Which is just barely bigger than 1/4" (since 2/8's is the same as 1/4...it's just a touch bigger than that at 3/icon_cool.gif

Definitelly doesn't leave a big hole!

Quote:
Quote:

I personally can't wait to get mine...I have two wedding cakes to deliver this summer already and have a feeling I have another two anniversary cakes that will need to be done after that...all of these cakes are to be delivered over 2 hours away and to be able to do that without the worry...it would be an answered prayer! So my dh knows this is top of my list...and yes, for now it's even knocked the cricut down to #2. The cricut will be a fun toy but the cakesafe is needed this summer. And, yes, to be able to deliver a wedding cake in one stacked piece...whew! That would be GREAT! Now I just have to figure out what size I want to buy!

Not only that, but being that you're delivering in the summertime.....it really keeps the cake nice and cool! I usually will drape my chefs coat (black) over the part directly exposed to sunlight in my van (or you could get those baby window shades...I really need to get some of those).....but I delivered a cake recently, all buttercream, not refrigerated beforehand...delivered it about an hour away 4 tiers high mind you, and it was like 85 degrees out, which isn't bad...but my van broke down and I had my mom's car with NO air conditioning!!!) It could have easily been 90+ degrees in that car and the buttercream was fine!

The way the box is constructed it really protects the cake from the outside heat......even after an hour.

Obviously you'd want to crank the ac if you have it, but I know my cake would have totally melted if not for that box!

Quote:
Quote:

I think they are a great idea but do they work on cakes with pillars?

check out this photo they have posted on their site.........crazy!!
LL

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 25 May 2010 , 9:58pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I personally can't wait to get mine...I have two wedding cakes to deliver this summer already and have a feeling I have another two anniversary cakes that will need to be done after that...all of these cakes are to be delivered over 2 hours away and to be able to do that without the worry...it would be an answered prayer! So my dh knows this is top of my list...and yes, for now it's even knocked the down to #2. The will be a fun toy but the cakesafe is needed this summer. And, yes, to be able to deliver a wedding cake in one stacked piece...whew! That would be GREAT! Now I just have to figure out what size I want to buy!

I was thinking the same thing about the Cake. My savings for it is at about 240. so I am thinking about saving a little more and getting a safe instead! I will just have to continue cutting fondant shapes by hand for a little bit longer!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:59pm
post #29 of 32

The cake safe is absolutely a must have item for the serious business folks, IMO....We use the quality, high end equipment, and this is one that is worth every penny.

pankake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pankake Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:15am
post #30 of 32

Next they need to do inserts for cupcakes to be used in the safe. That would be fantastic as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%