Where Do You Get Your Bulk Ingredients From?

Decorating By saffire277 Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 3:01pm by jammjenks

saffire277 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 10

I am just starting my cake business out of my home, and I am going through confectioners sugar like it is going out of style. I was going to BJ's wholesale club, but they only sell it in 4 lb bags, and that just isn't big enough. Where are you ladies getting your bulk ingredients?

9 replies
tracycakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 10

See if you have any local food wholesalers around. Also, if you have your business license and ein #, you can order wholesale from your local grocery store and Wal-Mart. Since I like using 2lb bags of PS, our local grocery store will order it by the case for us and it only takes a couple of days.

anasazi17 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:54am
post #3 of 10

We have all of our business stuff and order everything but PS from a distributer. We have found that the one from Sam's club is the best cost and easier to use...it is the 7lb bags.

misabel99 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:00am
post #4 of 10

I buy PS, flour, sugar, oil, vanilla in bulk from costco

Melchas Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:16am
post #5 of 10

do you have a sysco near you? They are a wholesaler for restaurants, schools, etc. If you have a business license and tax ID, you can get an account with them.

Rylan Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:49am
post #6 of 10

I don't have a business but I prefer to buy my ingredients in bulk. I usually get my main ingredients at Costo (business center) or Sams Club. I also buy some ingredients at Praml--a wholesaler for businesses here in Vegas. They do sell to me as well.

tron Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:39am
post #7 of 10

Yeah Costco or you could check to see if you have a Cash n' Carry in your area. They are a restaurant supply store.

CookieMeister Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 10

I was at Sam's on Saturday, and noticed they are now selling PS in a 25 pound bag! I was pleasantly surprised.

They also changed the packaging on their 7 pound bag so it's resealable. thumbs_up.gif

ladyonzlake Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 10

I don't us PS but I get my products from Cash and Carry or Costco

jammjenks Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 10

I'm fortunate to have a husband who works for a food distribution warehouse. I buy some things by the case from his work. It is the same price to me as it would be to a restaurant/grocery store. I just wish I had more space to store all of it!

Even so, I still buy my ps from WalMart in the 2# bags. My icing recipe calls for 2# per batch and it is worth it to me to not have to measure it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%