Dummy Cakes....

Decorating By faial Updated 5 May 2010 , 4:46pm by faial

faial Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 17

Hello friends,

I need help!!!!.......I will be using Styrofoam dummies between my real cakes for for a very tall wedding cake....
my questions is...cover them with butter cream then fondant .........or
would white chocolate ganache be easier under the fondant?
Thanks for any help offered.....

16 replies
agroeve Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 17

to be honest the only thing i use under fondant on dummy cakes is water to make it stick. the water dries and leaves the fondant bonded and i dont think you will get that with buttercream, it may stay a bit slidy.

brea1026 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 17

hmm- I just use a bit of light sorn syrup. =0)

weirkd Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 17

Ive heard of people using crisco and piping gel also. I use RI just because water seems to not work for me. Its usually no matter how I "spritz" it, I always get water on the bottom of the dummy.

agroeve Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 17

yeah i have had that problem weirkd so now all i do it wet my fingertips and rub them over the dummy rather than spray it and to get it off if i want to reuse the dummy is put it in a bowl of hot water for a while then the icing peels off easily without marking the dummy.

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 17

I massage crisco onto all of my dummies.
It allows you to move the fondant around for a bit, if necessary, and if you have a real problem, you can pull it off and re-roll it easily.
The crisco also fills in small imperfections in the stryofoam very nicely.

Lelka Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 17

First you wrap your dummies in plastic, completely seal it and smooth it. Shrink it you have the equipment. Then Crisco it all over. Crisco doesnt dry your fondant and gives you time to work with it without sticking right way.

faial Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 17

thanks.......I will be trying the crisco on one and see how it will work for me icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 17

No real need to wrap the dummies in anything at all. That can be an exercise in frustration for some, as the creases can make smoothing the fondant difficult.

To clean off the dummies, if they're small enough, just put them in the dishwasher with no soap and air dry. The sugar paste will wash right off.

If they're too big for the dishwasher, take a clear plastic tub and let them soak in water until the sugar paste dissolves and then hand wash off the rest with a bit of soapy H2O.

Lelka Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 17

From personal experience without plastic on the dummies the oil in Crisco will yellow your dummies and also give them smell....and if you are planning to use it in the future its not a good thing... Just my opinion and 2 cents icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 17

I re-use my dummies ALL of the time. I clean them exactly the way I posted above.

None of them "smell" or are "discolored", at all.

After multiple uses, sometimes they get a bit dinged up (I dropped a naked round on the floor and wound up with a badly flattened edge), but that's about it.

Rylan Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:44pm
post #12 of 17

I, too, use shortening like Rae does. I also find it easier to remove once it has already dried. It comes off easily.

lauthala Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:29am
post #13 of 17

I'm covering my first dummy cake,(for a show)how thick will I roll the fondant,so nothing shows through.

agroeve Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:31am
post #14 of 17

i use the same thickness fondant on dummys as i do on the real cakes.

lauthala Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:38am
post #15 of 17

Agroeve,I was thinking that,be odd as I have only ever put fondant over almond pasted cake.

agroeve Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:44am
post #16 of 17

about half the cakes i cover have marzipan on but i do roll my fondant the same thickness for cakes without marzipan as with it due to the fact that all my customers love fondant icing lol if you roll your fondant thinner when using almond paste or marzipan then i would roll it a little thicker for the dummy

faial Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:46pm
post #17 of 17

Hi everyone....
I had to cover my cakes separately and then stack them...
I tried all different ways but, the fondant would always rip off the top edge........when I rolled it thicker , I could not make it lay smooth on the sides........after a migraine and many tries.........I decided to just stack them and try to hide the seam with decorations.............

I am still open for any tips for future challenges.....lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%