Any Ideas On How To Make A Hay Bale?

Decorating By PennySue Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 3:14pm by Loucinda

PennySue Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 16

I'm doing an Americana themed birthday cake and wanted to incorporate a haybale on it. So...cake covered in fondant, rice krispies covered in fondant? Any thoughts on how to make it look like hay?

15 replies
KHalstead Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 16

how big does the hay bale need to be?

i made the ones on these cakes w/ a cupcake and then used the grass tip and put gold icing on them.
LL
LL
LL

KHalstead Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 16

I just reread your post.......I guess mine were more like haySTACKs not hayBAILS sorry!

cakesbymark Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 16

you can use the grass tip 233 and use fondant to make a couple of rope ties.....

LKing12 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 16

Very simple square bale is a rice krispy treat with lines of bc for the bailing twine.

LKing12 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 16

I just downloaded a picture in my photo gallery...

jessielou Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 16

I just made a cottage with a straw roof and I used the pampered chef garlic press to make the "straw" It was super easy and fast. You could make a block out of RKT or cake and cover it that way
LL

jammjenks Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 16

I used the grass tip for this one. I certainly wouldn't recomment one this big, though.

The twine was not edible, but you could use fondant ropes.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1270002

Here's a much smaller one I did:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1500937

jewels710 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 16

I would try making it out of modeling chocolate (white - tinted "hay" color) then use a tool to scrape in the texture.

cakesatecu Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 16

I used cake and covered it in toasted coconut!

Motorhead Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:34pm
post #11 of 16

i used RKT molded into round bales, covered with MMF, then i used my tools and made round ring groves, then painted them. pics are in my photos.

KHalstead Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I used the grass tip for this one. I certainly wouldn't recomment one this big, though.

OH WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I REALLY hope you had help piping all of that!! What a trooper you are.........you oughta be a millionaire after doing that cake (cuz I'd charge at least 1 million to pipe all that hay!!!!!)

looks so awesome!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

PennySue Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:08pm
post #13 of 16

Oh Wow! What good ideas! Thank you all so very much!

LorenEbert Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:25pm
post #14 of 16

Not a hay bale but a hay stack... check out www.carolinescakecompany.blogspot.com. She made an adorable farm cake!

jammjenks Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:21pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

OH WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I REALLY hope you had help piping all of that!! What a trooper you are.........you oughta be a millionaire after doing that cake (cuz I'd charge at least 1 million to pipe all that hay!!!!!)

looks so awesome!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Nope, no help. Just me. It took me FOREVER! At delivery, I told the bride that she got a one-of-a-kind original because I'd NEVER do another one. At least not that big.

Thanks for the compliments. I was pleased with it too...just don't want to recreate it. thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:14pm
post #16 of 16

I made some small ones to go with a tractor. I used cake frosted with buttercream, then put crushed shredded wheat on it - it looked exactly like a bale of straw!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%