Any Thoughts On This Camo Cake Technique?

Decorating By jenng1482 Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm by dalis4joe

jenng1482 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 18

A bride Sent me this pic (I dont know where she got it). She wants to know if I can match the colors to be that bright. I am looking for your suggestions on how to do this.

I work mostly with buttercream and use fondant for accents. I have til Jan 2011 though to practice with fondant if we decide to go that route.

Also, I have an airbrush.

Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
LL

17 replies
jenng1482 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:39am
post #2 of 18

Can anyone help me?

jolmk Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:05am
post #3 of 18

Can you make the picture bigger?

Jo

Polkadot79 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:06am
post #4 of 18

I had that same cake request. It appears to be a really good air brush job mixed with some fondant details. My attempt was so rough that I vowed never to do another camo cake in my life. (It's in my cake pics although she requested a much smaller scale.)...no problem for me since I hate anything camo related anyway. =D

Polkadot79 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:10am
post #5 of 18

I don't own an airbrush, so I mixed different fondant colors together then used petal dust to kinda mesh the colors all together. I stamped some leaf designs in all the fondant, but isn't very visible in the pics.

Oh yeah, the pic at the wedding reception was taken a month after cake was made...wedding was cancelled day of, so groom's mom froze the cake!! I made the wedding cake as well and ended up making the 2nd wedding cake as well. I was very nervous about them serving the frozen cake sine I wasn't sure how they had sealed it up in the freezer. I wasn't at wedding to taste, but heard it was fine. *big sigh*

Ballymena Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:20am
post #6 of 18

Need a much larger picture.

SugarFrosted Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:47am
post #7 of 18
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:59am
post #8 of 18

I have had a request for that cake too..... I tried the camo, but my attempt wasn't very good either. So I'm not much help there. My only question is.....why in the world did they put a Buck (which is male) and a spike (which is also male) on the top of that cake?!? My husband being a huge hunter... I got a chuckle out of the Buck & Spike cake...lol...instead of Buck and Doe!

anasazi17 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:57am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

I have had a request for that cake too..... I tried the camo, but my attempt wasn't very good either. So I'm not much help there. My only question is.....why in the world did they put a Buck (which is male) and a spike (which is also male) on the top of that cake?!? My husband being a huge hunter... I got a chuckle out of the Buck & Spike cake...lol...instead of Buck and Doe!

he-he icon_smile.gif

Ballymena Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:07pm
post #10 of 18

I got a chuckle out of the Buck & Spike cake...lol...instead of Buck and Doe!

Quote:
Quote:

Darn city-slickers. lol
Airbrushed.

Eisskween Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:25pm
post #11 of 18

It looks like the same way you would do the marbling or tye-dye technique. Take all your colors together and a series of "twist and folds" till you are happy with the mix, then roll out. Don't over mix it, about 5 or 6 times should do it. Put it on the cake and use a dog leg or similar tool and use it to make the texture over it.

Eisskween Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:29pm
post #12 of 18

Regarding the antlers on the female, in some species of deer, such as the reindeer, females also have antlers.

KHalstead Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:43pm
post #13 of 18

the way things are today, there's little "shock value" to seeing 2 male anythings on a wedding cake anymore!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:13pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisskween

Regarding the antlers on the female, in some species of deer, such as the reindeer, females also have antlers.

Yeah, but those are Whitetail... you can bet that some bride ordered that cake because she and her husband are hunters.

jenng1482 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:27pm
post #15 of 18

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was thinking about doing a blend of colored fondant also, instead of airbrushing. And just to be on the safe side - I'll leave the topper up to the couple!

MissMona Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:28pm
post #16 of 18

I have an order for a mounted buck in two weeks. I would love it if y'all could give me some ideas on how to do the antlers. I thought modeling chocolate over some sort of structure, but I'm lost what to use to get the shape. Please help!

dalis4joe Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #18 of 18

that's airbrush "A LA B. WEBER MODE" lol she is amazing at airbrush and I only wish I could use it half as good as she does.... anyways.... you can go to yutube and look for airbrush tutorials... even if they aren't for cakes... u just want to get the technique right... they have tons of them and I know with practice...u too can make a cake look that great...

Good Luck and good job on doing your homeowrk nice and early... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%