How Do I Get A Banana Filled Cake To Not Bulge On The Sides?

Decorating By Enticing_Designs Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 10:03pm by TracyLH

Enticing_Designs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enticing_Designs Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 13

My most popular cake is a Butter Pecan Banana filled cake with cream cheese icing. I fill the middle with a thin layer of icing with freshly sliced bananas. After icing and chilling, I get it out to put the fondant on, and no matter how chilled or even close to frozen it is, it always ends up bulging out of the side of the cake. By the time I got it to the last baby shower I did, I had 2 bananas shoot out of the side of the cake through the fondant!! It just messes it all up. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated!!!

12 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 13

Have you tried putting a dam of thick bc around the edge to keep the filling from mashing out? Your cake sounds really tasty icon_biggrin.gif

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 13

I was going to suggest the same thing - a good thick bc dam. That should take care of the problem.

Enticing_Designs Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 13

Well I've got another order to fill on Wednesday, so I thought about trying that!! I'm still learning a lot, as you can tell. But both of your replies confirm my thoughts about that. I think that will work well that way! And just another quick question...I'm always a little leary when using fresh fruit. Do you think freezing the cake is necessary to keep the banana's fresh, or just refridgeration. I've been making them the day before and refridgerating them, but I didn't know if this was keeping the banana's fresh enough. Any thoughts??

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 13

Definately the bc dam, and do you use one layer of bananas or are they on top of each other? Sliced bananas are soooo slippery, I think that if they are on top of each other they make the layer more unstable. Good luck

Enticing_Designs Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 13

No, just one layer of bananas. I figured that out the first time...thank goodness it was before I stacked the layers! They are quite slippery!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 13

I don't know about bananas.... I always worry about them turning that funky color. Not sure if they would inside a cake sealed off from the air... never tried them. My 4 yr old has requested bananas in her cake for this weekend.

Enticing_Designs Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 13

Kelli: They have seemed to be just fine in taste and color the way I've been doing them, by just making them the night before the event. They really are quite yummy in the cake I do. You should try it this weekend for your 4 year old! My kids love it icon_smile.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 13

This is what I have done many times when using fresh bananas....I slice my bananas thin and only put 1 layer...not on top of each other. I also dont place them too close to the edge because they can slide/ooze out/or bulge. Using a dam would be helpful too.

I have switched over to SMBC from my traditional BC and do not use a dam....one day I was a bit lazy and did not use a dam....and to my surprise no bulge/oozing or anything. Have been doing this ever since icon_eek.gif And I use fruit fillings (pre made) all the time. I also chill my cakes in between decorating that seems to help with the filling and all. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

MomMiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomMiller Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 13

I was going to suggest the dam too. I love the way everyone is so helpful around here!

Enticing_Designs Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm
post #11 of 13

MomMiller: I think the same thing! Thank you everyone for such great posts and helping me out! Hopefully this will make my cake a success tomorrow! And it's nice to know I have so many helpful people around for the future because I have soooooo much to learn!

Normita: Thank you for the SMBC tip. I have never made it, but will definately be trying that out for my next cake! Is there a certain recipe that you recommend??

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinAimee

MomMiller: I think the same thing! Thank you everyone for such great posts and helping me out! Hopefully this will make my cake a success tomorrow! And it's nice to know I have so many helpful people around for the future because I have soooooo much to learn!

Normita: Thank you for the SMBC tip. I have never made it, but will definately be trying that out for my next cake! Is there a certain recipe that you recommend??

I use this recipe...it is really great!! Everyone just loves this recipe and is my new BC recipe. My other recipe is good too....but people always seem to like the not so sweet BC. The best thing about SMBC you can flavor it with anything...I added puree strawberries for strawberry SMBC....melted mint choco chips for mint SMBC...etc. Very good.

This is the recipe I like to use icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594605-smbc.html

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:03pm
post #13 of 13

I popped on here as I just saw a similar question about bulging being asked on the Home Page at the same time. I guess I will need to learn about this if I ever do cakes and not just cookies. icon_lol.gif Here is a link to info on the cake dam idea, if you want it:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6795858.html#6795858

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%