Is This The Same As The Sps For Stacking A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By Lyndseyb52 Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 4:32pm by kake4me2

Lyndseyb52 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 9

After reading all your posts about the SPS being the best way to stack a cake, I'm definately going to follow your advice.

In the uk it's expensive for shipping so wondered if you thought this looked like the same kind of thing, it says the clear plastic twist legs penetrate the cake and rest on the plate .

Also, do the plates just balance on the pillars or do they sit in a groove or anything for more security?

Thanks for your help

Lyndsey xx

8 replies
Jeannem Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, these are the same idea as the SPS, except You might want to check the height of the legs. Most people use the 4" high (10 cm) SPS legs so there is no separation between layers. I think these legs are 8".(20 cm) Do they have the shorter legs??

Ballymena Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 9

These look like the Wilton ones? If so, they attach to the top but not to the bottom of the plate.
If you have access to Wilton you can us separator plates and hidden pillars somewhat like the SPS system by flipping one plate upside down(feet up) under the cake and the one on top right side up(feet down) with the pillars pushed through the cake they attach to both plates.

leah_s Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 9

Those are Wilton. Definitely not of the same quality as SPS.

And don't even think about trying what's posted right above about using two plates. I've give you a minute to visualize that to discover why it won't work.

Yes, the legs rest on the plate below. Aren't your dowels doing that now? The advantage to SPS is that the legs *lock* into the plate, so it's not going anywhere. Because dowels can (and DO) shift inside the cake because they are not attached to anything, they are inherently less stable.

Lyndseyb52 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the replies icon_smile.gif They did have all different sized pillars but that was the only pic with it all actually built.

That's what I couldn't work out Leah, how it was any different than using my own dowels if they didn't click in. So do you think these click in at the top but not the bottom?

Lyndsey xx

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 9

The legs in that Wilton set "click" into the top plate--they're actually hard to pull out. I believe that's the same with the SPS--those legs click into the "top" plate and rest on the plate below.

The difference with that Wilton set up is that the crystal twist legs really can't be cut nicely because they're designed to be seen. They're decorative, as well as supportive, to allow space between the tiers.

The Wilton set is more expensive because it's supposed to be re-used. The SPS parts are thinner and less expensive, so they can be used without deposits or the expectation of return.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 9

If you can't get the sps you would be better off using the hidden pillars

Lyndseyb52 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for your help, I might end up using both. It will be a stacked cake with pillars so could use the decorative ones where they can be seen and the hidden ones inbetween the other tiers.

I'd been emailing a uk shop/website and it's taken 3 emails just to get them to say if the legs click in or not. Should have known to just come on here in the first place, you are all so nice !!

Lyndsey xx

kake4me2 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 9

Where can we find this SPS system???

Quote by @%username% on %date%