Cake Boxes For Transport?

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 12:51am by Maria925

Maria925 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 8

I am a new cake decorator and am only doing cakes for friends and family currently. I am doing several cakes over the next couple months that I have to transport. They are all stacked cakes so I will probably transport the tiers separately and assemble there (I'm assuming this would be the best route???).

However, I don't know what kind of boxes are best for transporting. I tried some of the Wilton boxes from Michael's, but they were very flimsy and the sizes were off.

Can anyone recommend boxes that are sturdy and where they can be purchased? I don't have any cake decorating stores in my area (North FL) so I have been buying things online. I just don't know which products would be best for this?

Thank you so much!!!

7 replies
antonia74 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 8

I use different sizes of Rubbermaid/Tupperware containers with non-slip matting underneath for transporting/assembling on site. They are sturdy, see-though if you'd prefer to keep an eye on things, very solid AND reuseable! I have a huge square one that's about 8" tall for my bottom tiers, smaller ones for the rest. They come in so many heights & widths that you can find exactly what you're looking for! I even use the long "under-the-bed" containers for transporting hundreds of cupcakes to venues.

As for clients who pick up stacked cakes, I just use regular Banker's boxes from business supply stores like Staples. They are super strong, not flimsy at all, about the same price as regular bakery boxes, they have removable lids, built-in handles, I can put cakes inside that are nearly 12" tall!

l80bug79 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 8

i've ordered some from online that are a little sturdier than the wilton ones. has reasonable prices on them where you don't have to buy huge quantities of them. I also use the banker boxes/staples paper boxes that I swipe from my full time office job.

LisaR64 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 8

I often use U-Haul boxes because they are very sturdy, come in many sizes, and are fairly inexpensive.

nwnest Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 8

I love the idea of using the Banker's/file boxes from the office supply store. And I've gotten no-slip shelf liner for cheap at Big Lots. Thanks for the awesome tip Antonia!

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 8

I buy mine from the UPS Store. They are very sturdy. I just wipe them down with a very ever-so slightly damp towel to remove any dust particles that may have adhered to it. I also use a piece of non-slip shelf liner so the cake doesn't move within the box. Works great for me every time! icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 8

I have a large 20x20 x30 box that i totally covered inside and out with contact paper and made a lid. i use this to transport all tiered cakes. I dont leave it, i just leave a 8x8x5 box for the top tier.

Maria925 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:51am
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much! I love the idea of the banker's boxes because they have the handles right in them. It never occurred to me to use "regular" boxes! And sweetcakes, I love the idea of covering the box in paper icon_smile.gif I will definitely be getting some boxes and the shelf liners.

Thanks for the tips icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%