Need Advice On Cake Order Please.

Decorating By kello Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 3:30pm by mamawrobin

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 17

My DH's co-worker ordered a birthday cake for his wife. They are expecting twins in the fall and are so ecstatic about it. Well, the cake he wants for his wife is a twins theme and the pic he sent me was of a baby shower cake. Would you want a baby shower cake for your b-day? Should I make some suggestions or bring it up that it's a baby shower cake and maybe his wife would want something a little more grown-up? Or do you always do what the customer wants, no questions asked?

16 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 17

Can you post the picture?
Perhaps there are some twists we can suggest to make it more 'birthday' and less 'baby shower'.

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 17

That's a toughie...and it depends on what kind of party it is. Family, friends...or more professional acquaintances celebration.

You could do like 7yyrt suggested, and make it less shower, more bday...and maybe write "Happy Happy Birthday!!"

Hope this helps!

kello Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 17
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 17

I would say something to him. Maybe like " how about a birthday twist on the baby cake." You could do Happy on the front of the top tier, birthday on the second. Then do the baby theme on the bottom. Maybe add something on the board along the lines of " and next year two more wishes" or something like that. Maybe change the colors a little.

I would ask though. Maybe he is being sweet and thinks she will really like it.

kello Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 17

ttehan4, I like the "two more wishes" I will ask him about the b-day twist, so it's not all about the babies.
Thanks!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:55am
post #7 of 17

Men........gotta love em' icon_rolleyes.gif
They're clueless......in a sweet kind of way icon_wink.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:00am
post #8 of 17

I like the "Two more wishes" idea too.

Maybe for the cake topper you could do a birthday cake/cupcake with two candles in it?

Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:56am
post #9 of 17

Hey SpecialtyCakesbyKelli, why you gotta pick on us men? icon_wink.gif Just kidding. You are right though. Some people (I know, it's mostly men) are pretty clueless. I was in this same situation last year. One of my friends wanted me to make his wife's birthday cake, and they were also expecting. He's telling me about all of the really cool baby stuff to put on it..."She'll LOVE it" he says. I told him that I had some ideas and asked if he trusted me to come up with a great cake for her. He agreed. I didn't put a single baby related thing on it. I kept it very simple and elegant. Chocolate cake with raspberry filling (her favorite flavors), white fondant with white royal icing lacework piping on the sides. When I brought the cake, he looked at it and said, "Oh man! I thought you were going to do a really cool baby cake. She's going to be disappointed." I told him that I would take all the blame. SHE LOVED IT!!! I didn't say anything other than, "He ordered your cake." I think her exact words were, "Oh hunny, it's PERFECT! Thank you SOOOOOO MUCH! FINALLY, something that isn't BABY!" I told him I was going to charge him double. icon_wink.gif

kello Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:18am
post #10 of 17

It's so true, Men....they mean well, but sometimes need a little help.
I made some suggestions to him and he will change some of the items to b-day stuff, but he's so set on the strollers on top.
Oh well, it's the thought that counts right? icon_razz.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:17pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacnacweazel

Hey SpecialtyCakesbyKelli, why you gotta pick on us men? icon_wink.gif Just kidding. You are right though. Some people (I know, it's mostly men) are pretty clueless. I was in this same situation last year. One of my friends wanted me to make his wife's birthday cake, and they were also expecting. He's telling me about all of the really cool baby stuff to put on it..."She'll LOVE it" he says. I told him that I had some ideas and asked if he trusted me to come up with a great cake for her. He agreed. I didn't put a single baby related thing on it. I kept it very simple and elegant. Chocolate cake with raspberry filling (her favorite flavors), white fondant with white royal icing lacework piping on the sides. When I brought the cake, he looked at it and said, "Oh man! I thought you were going to do a really cool baby cake. She's going to be disappointed." I told him that I would take all the blame. SHE LOVED IT!!! I didn't say anything other than, "He ordered your cake." I think her exact words were, "Oh hunny, it's PERFECT! Thank you SOOOOOO MUCH! FINALLY, something that isn't BABY!" I told him I was going to charge him double. icon_wink.gif

LOL, not trying to pick on men lol... but speaking from my own experience with my husband...he's cluess! Way off subject, but we're from the south and my husband is a big hunter, he bought me a shot gun for mother's day one year....... Now what am I going to do with a shotgun? I have 3 kids, and a full time business... I don't have time to sit in the woods for hours LOL. He still thinks it was the best gift ever icon_rolleyes.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacnacweazel

LOL, not trying to pick on men lol... but speaking from my own experience with my husband...he's cluess! Way off subject, but we're from the south and my husband is a big hunter, he bought me a shot gun for mother's day one year....... Now what am I going to do with a shotgun? I have 3 kids, and a full time business... I don't have time to sit in the woods for hours LOL. He still thinks it was the best gift ever icon_rolleyes.gif

Nacna that is SO CUTE!!!!! hahahaha. Love that story!

Men do try SO hard! That is hilarious about the shotgun too....hmmm....wow. haha.

I'm finding out wives have to pretty much give their husbands a written list of stuff they like! Otherwise their guesses can be pretty "off" sometimes! We had to return a Christmas gift and try again a second time. haha.

For my birthday my hubby was so sweet....he got me a gift certificate for a manicure/pedicure. My birthday is in winter so I still have it, will use it soon! Although I asked him if it was ok to get two pedicures because between caking and playing a little guitar, I have nothing left to manicure. haha. But hey he did pretty good, and I didn't even ask for it. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:35pm
post #13 of 17

kelli..........when your husband gives you something he desperately wants for himself but doesn't use it himself (if he takes it over he's selfish lol)..............that is TRUE LOVE!!! lol

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:51pm
post #14 of 17

the first year I was married I was an xxl size...for Christmas, I got an xsmall size baby doll pajamas with a pair of white KNEE socks...wth??? My
mom said that's the way he sees me. got an ATV for my anniversary once. was married 32 plus years. when I left, guess what went with me, yep, the ATV. men are very funny

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:30pm
post #15 of 17

For Christmas, my husband wants a list (he grew up where they posted it on the fridge). I grew up where we never new what we were going to get, so have trouble writing a list.
This year, I got "Date Coupons"- a wonderful idea, but we have yet to have time to use one! So I didn't feel guilty letting him know I was ordering the Cake Cricut!
I have started this years list- Kopykake projector, edible image system.....

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:56pm
post #16 of 17

At least they mean well when they make the mistakes.
I once got a box of tea with my Christmas gift and gave him the weirdest look. "It's your favorite, see I DO listen to you!" We laughed the rest of the night because it was actually my mother's favorite tea.

I definitely think that a mother's birthday should be more about her than the kids, but the "two more wishes" is a great way to incorporate the kids too. Perhaps you can find out some of her hobbies and favorite colors to give you a clue of what she would prefer.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:30pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerjo

the first year I was married I was an xxl size...for Christmas, I got an xsmall size baby doll pajamas with a pair of white KNEE socks...wth??? My
mom said that's the way he sees me. got an ATV for my anniversary once. was married 32 plus years. when I left, guess what went with me, yep, the ATV. men are very funny

I like your way of thinking thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%