How Do I Attatch Fondant To Bc

Decorating By SCBM Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 7:11pm by KristasKakes78

SCBM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCBM Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 14

let me start by saying that I am terrifed to work with Fondant. BUT, I have a cake coming up that requires me to work with the dreadful stuff. I have always been the "jump in to anything" kinda girl, but for some reason Fondant just stresses me out.

I am going to have to make a cowgirl hat out of fondant. I use the MMF and it doesn't seem to get hard, is there a secret to making it more stiff to hold shapes.

AND

How do I get fondant to stick to BC. I need to make some fringes out of Fondant and don't know how I will get it to stick to the BC.

Please help!
Misti

13 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 14

have you ever workes with molded chocolate. If you are afraid to use the fondant I find the chocolate is more forgiving, taste better and gets hard on its own icon_smile.gif

SCBM Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 14

i have not worked with choco before, can you mold it like you would fondant?

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 14

You can adhere fondant to buttercream by using candy melts. Melt them and put them in a piping bag and away you go.

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 14

Fondant, especially MMF, won't get that hard, you need to mix half and half with gumpaste or mix in some Tylose to help the fondant harden and hold it's shape.

AnotherCreation Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 14

IMO its easier. I use 10 oz of candy melts(either the color I need or white) melt in microwave on med heat at 30 sec intervals. When completely smooth add 1/3 cup corn syrup stir well, will be thick and will become a "blob" I then slowly pour the blob in a quart size ziplock flatten out throw in the fridge til set(doesn't take long) then I set it on the counter til I'm ready to use it. The biggest thing is when you go to use it break off a small amount and knead it in your hand a little, then break off another small amount knead it then add the two together and so on til you have the amount you need. If you try all of it together you will have problems. Also wash your hand in cold water if your hands become to warm. Some people keep ice in a ziplock near by. hth

SCBM Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 14

another creations...can you add coloring to this. Like if I used white melts and added my coloring to it?

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 14

I work with fondant a lot and teach classes with it. I always tell my students to pretend they are a kid again and it's play dough, it takes the stress off.
As with any decorating, practice is the key.

AnotherCreation Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 14

yes I have added colors with the corn syrup. I have also added colors after when I just needed a little bit of a certain color. They make the colors for candy. I mostly use those but I have used the icing gel colors( a tiny amount) and not had any problems. I don't think I would color a whole batch with it though. If you look on my pics I have a giraffe that was made from the molded choc, an abby cadabby that was all choc, the crowntoo. I use the chocolate a lot.

SCBM Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 14

AnotherCreation...great work. How did you get the "spots" on the giraffe? Also, do you use regular fondant for your cakes, for instance the M&M cakes?

KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 14

I find that michelle fosters fondant is so easy to work with and holds shapes great.

AnotherCreation Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:32pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks. I'm really new at this and just trying to figure out the best way for me.I make my own mmf just marshmallows, water, ps and a little crisco. The spots on the giraffe are white molded chocolate that I colored brown(as you can see I didn't need much) I just made little balls and I mean little then just applied them with a little pressure and the warmth of my hands just "molds" them to the other chocolate and leaves it smooth.

SCBM Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 14

Krista,

Is michelle fosters recipe on this forum?

KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:11pm
post #14 of 14

yes it is ...use the michelle fosters updated fondant.Just dont add too much sugar,its better to be sticky and then add more as you need it.
I always half the recipe as it makes a ton.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%