Support For Standing Narrow Cake - Wine Bottle

Decorating By babeebk Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm by babeebk

babeebk Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 3

I'm planning to do a standing wine bottle cake for my mom for Mother's Day. I perused the galleries and noticed that most of the wine bottle cakes are laying down in wine "crates". I experimented this weekend by baking several 4 in round (2 in deep) cakes and stacking them with one center dowel (sharpened at one end and stuck it right into 1/2 cake board). The cake was wobbly and unstable. I didn't bother to fondant it (we just ate it for dessert last night, lol).

I really want this cake to be made to scale so that my mom doesn't realize that it's a cake right away. My goal is to make a cake that looks like this:

Any tips or suggestions on how to pull this off?

2 replies
Ballymena Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 3

I've done it with a 3/4" plywood cake board, drill a 1/4" hole and insert and glue in a 1/4" dowel, of course do this ahead of time so the glue is dry and if any glue seeps up when you insert the dowel wash it off. This keeps the dowel in place and not wobbly. Cover the board and glued area smoothly with foil before you put on the cake or fondant the board. I also use a solid pound cake for anything that needs strength.

babeebk Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 3

thank you so much! I'm going to give it another try this weekend! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%