2 Tiered Mini Wedding Cakes

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 1:51pm by minicuppie

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I am doing some 2 tiered mini wedding cakes (3 inch and 2 inch stacked). They are going to be covered in fondant....so I was planning on using a pourable fondant. My question is do you cover these in buttercream first and then the pourable fondant? Is there any easy way to ice in buttercream rather than ice each cake individually...like a pourable buttercream?

TIA

4 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 5

I always pour a pretty thickish simple syrup on mini cakes, let dry then pour or dip them in the fondant. You may need to use 2 coats of fondant, depending on how thick or how dark the cakes are. IMHO having to actually ice and smooth tiny things is a PITA.

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 5

That's what I was thinking minicuppie....icing and smoothing is a PITA! I like the simple syrup idea..thanks!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 5

Ohhhh wee! Those little things are a huge PITA! Have you ever tried the pourable fondant? I was never able to get it right, always turned out lumpy and had runs in it. If you haven't tried it, I would suggest doing some practice runs, and if you have....and it turned out good.... can you PLEASE tell me how icon_biggrin.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 5

I posted a poured fondant icing that I found in one of my mom's cookbooks. It used some of those dots that you melt for candy molds (for structure and color). I posted awhile back and cannot find it. If you are interested send me a PM and I'll repost in the fondant recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%