Recommended Recipe For Whipped Cream Filling?

Baking By Swede-cakes Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 4:21pm by Joyfull4444

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 13

I've searched through here and allrecipes.com but haven't found a recipe that I think would work. My client ordered fresh strawberries and whipped cream for her wedding cake filling. I told her that I thought the whipped cream would have ingredients added to it to make it more sturdy, and she said fine.

Since I haven't until now had any orders for this type of filling, and anticipate that the weight of three tiers would squash real whipped cream...can anyone offer a recipe that would be sturdy enough like BC?

Thanks all!

12 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 13

Look for a stabilized whipped cream recipe. As for the worry over the cake being too heavy for the the filling, are you not planning to use wooden dowels or some other means to support your tiers? I believe there are several really great tutorials available on the net if you need to see how it is done.

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 13

just make sure you use a bc dam and the whipped cream will not leak out on ya.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 13

I use that filling in most of my cakes but I buy Pastry Pride or Bettercream and the flavor it's like the whipped cream, I even use it for frosting if you look in my pic most of my cakes are made it with that filling and Pastry Pride frosting.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks to all!

Yes, I always use a support system with my tiered cakes. I guess I just picture the whipped cream squishing anyway. Thanks for reminding me of the BC dam. I'll look for a stabilized recipe.

I knew you guys would come through!

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 13

I just use whipped cream with a little sugar in. I'm not a fan of the artificial ingredients and trans fats in pastry pride. I would say as long as you do the dam and you push your cake down a little then you're good. Some people add a little gelatin for stabilized whipped cream.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 13

What about the pudding whipping cream mixture? Its quite thick and pretty darn tasty. You could use cheesecake pudding, french vanilla pudding, regular vanilla pudding, or any pudding flavor you think would be nice with your strawberries. Cookies and cream pudding with whipping cream is very good, my friends love it, but probably not so great with strawberries.

1 pint whipping cream
1 regular size package instant pudding

Mix together (I just use a hand whisk) until thickened. Try it as an experiment to see what you think.
HTH icon_biggrin.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 13

Joy...thanks for that recipe tip. I thought I had seen/made it all!

elaine1949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elaine1949 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 9:37am
post #9 of 13

Where do you buy the bettercream....and also, the post saying to use the pudding whipping cream mixture...can you also frost a cake with that mixture

Joyfull4444 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 13

Hi Elaine1949
I myself have not used the cream/pudding mixture to frost my cakes, only for filling them but I do know it has been used for frosting cakes also.

It does need a few tablespoons milk to thin it down if you're going to use it to frost a cake though as its fairly thick. About a 1/4 cup milk in all.
If you decide to try it as a frosting, once you've got the mixture made, add your milk a little at a time, not all at once as you don't want it to end up getting to thin. The 1/4 cup milk is appox only. You may need more, or you may need less.

HTH

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 13

Joyful, how does it hold up for a wedding cake that will displayed for several hours?

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:20pm
post #12 of 13

You might try the Swiss buttercream. It has the taste of whipped cream especially when you add strawberries. I often fill cakes with it and add berries.

Joyfull4444 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:21pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by radtech

Joyful, how does it hold up for a wedding cake that will displayed for several hours?

I read some time back about a decorator on S--------- who has used if for wedding cakes, but its not somthing I would do myself nor recommend. To risky as the cake will be sitting out at room temperature for hours and that could lead to sickness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%