Please Dont Shoot Me!

Decorating By jessielou Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 3:44pm by jhay

jessielou Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 8

Ok I know everyone HATES pricing questions but I just need a couple opinions. This is only the second cake Ive charged for other than cost of my supplies. Here are the pictures the bride sent me :

The first obviously the wedding cake and the second the grooms cake.
How much would you charge. They are expecting about 250-300 people. and she wants alternating flavors. most likely buttercream. I want to say no less the $600 for both. Am I too low , too high? I really hate this part of caking! I need a business manager! icon_wink.gif Thanks in advance!

7 replies
cupcakemkr Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 8

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 8

I couldn't view the grooms cake... how many guest do you think you will try to serve with the grooms cake? I would charge more than $600 for the wedding cake alone. If you did the wedding cake for 200 guest @ $3.50 per serving, that's $700 right there! And $3.50 per serving is probably cheap in most areas.

jhay Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 8

Agreed. WAY TOO LOW! The wedding cake itself would be $750 itself if you only asked $2.50 per serving and from what I've seen on this site...$2.50 is dirt cheap.

jhay Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 8

That would be for 300 people.

jessielou Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 8

sorry about that ..heres the grooms cake. Im not sure how many shes wanting it to serve. Shes not wanting to pick flavors, fillings, or anything like that yet. Just want a "rough estimate"

Bfisher2 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 8

yup.... waaaaaaay to low...get her to nail down exactly how many people she will want it to serve first then determine your per serving price. icon_smile.gif

jhay Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 8

Let her know that you charge a particular amount (whatever you choose) per serving of cake. This is industry standard.

You should figure out what size cake it will take to make the cake she wants and count up how many servings that will give her. Sometimes the actual cake will have way more servings than is needed...sometimes not enough. You should charge for the servings that you MAKE. For example..."The wedding cake you requested will serve 325 people, therefore, at $2.50 per serving, it will cost roughly $812." That price might not cover any extras like sugar flowers or other decorations which you might choose to charge extra for. If they say it's too much, then you can recommend that they downsize the cake or use a cake dummy for one tier. You could charge 1/2 for the dummy b/c you still have to decorate it. Time = $$$.

Quote by @%username% on %date%