Cupcake Ideas For Preschoolers

Decorating By krm52200 Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 6:52pm by krm52200

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 5

My son's preschool has asked me to do a little hand's on cake decorating demo with the kids at the school so that each one will decorate their own cupcake. We're talking about kids ranging from 2-5. I'm thinking I would have them all frosted and maybe pre-cut fondant pieces for them to attach. Anybody have any fun and easy ideas for this kind of project? Was thinking of trying to do something with spring theme. Maybe cupcakes frosted yellow and then the fondant pieces to make them look like chicks?

Would love to hear any suggestions or ideas. I'm freaking out a little about helping 40 kids decorate cupcakes!!

4 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 5

That age doesn't care how things look. They are just thrilled to "play with their food". Pastel colored marshmallows, animal crackers, chocolate chips, sprinkles and other things that won't be likely to get stuck in their tiny throats.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 5

So funny.. I am doing the exact thing. Here is what I did. I went out and bought small plastic containers and filled them with,sprinkles,marshmallows,coconut,mini chocolate chips,gumdrops, and candy corn. I found out how many tables were in the class so each table has one of each container. I just had cupcakes with white icing and the kids could decorate how they wanted. I was considering doing something with fondant but these kids are really young so I went with candy, and the kids loved having so many choices. HTH

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 5

You could do animal faces...fondant pieces like an elephant trunk & ears, or licorice whiskers for a tiger or lion?
Mini M&M's are always a winner, too! icon_smile.gif They could make faces...

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 5

thanks for all the input. I think the director is actually hoping I'm goign to teach them something! I think I'm going to do frogs and lady bugs. Mini choc. chips and licorice for the lady bugs and marshmallows and choc. chips for the frogs. I will have one of each made so they can see how to do it and then go nuts. they're only going to eat them anyway!

thanks again. i'd be happy to hear any more ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%