What Happened??

Decorating By ChoueiriCakeCo Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm by ChoueiriCakeCo

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 16

I made my first carved cake and everything seemed fine...until I looked at the back! Im not sure if this is from the weight of the fondant but it only effected the back of the cake.

Back

Front

Luckily, This was just a small practice cake, but I would love to solve this problem so it doesn't happen again in the future!

15 replies
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 16

Super cute idea! I think it looks like too much icing under the fondant.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 16

Thank you icon_smile.gif

That's strange because I only crumb-coated the cake (not very thick) to try and prevent that. The cake looks like it's leaning back slightly. Maybe that could be the issue?

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 16

1.That cake can be done with one piece of fondant, so no seams to worry with. 2. Your fondant stretched. That can be fixed by taking a pizza wheel and removing the extra, then resmoothing. If there is a bunch of the crumb coat in that stretched area, you need to use less of it or get a recipe that is a bit firmer. (BC, not fondant, lol)

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 16

Once the cake if filled and stacked it needs to "settle" for several hours before applying fondant. Looks like it settled after the fondant was put on.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

1.That cake can be done with one piece of fondant, so no seams to worry with.

I realized that after I had already done two sides, and I didn't want to go back and have to peel the fondant off.

I used store bought vanilla icing...it crusts but now I'm thinking it may not be strong enough for fondant. Is there a store-bought icing I can use instead?

Tiggy2, I'm thinking of using a weight to help the cakes settle next time.

Thanks to everyone for your responses icon_smile.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 16

I agree that it looks like it settled and leaned back while doing so. I use a cardboard circle to press down on my cakes before I cover them (or even ice them in bc). Once you've done that you should be able to cover them without issue. But if you do get that, like minniecuppie said, you can use a pizza wheel. I swear those things were really invented for fondant!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Once the cake if filled and stacked it needs to "settle" for several hours before applying fondant. Looks like it settled after the fondant was put on.

What she said thumbs_up.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 16

I'll keep that in mind next time icon_smile.gif

One more question, is store-bought icing strong enough to be used as a crumb-coat under fondant?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoueiriCakeCo

I'll keep that in mind next time icon_smile.gif

One more question, is store-bought icing strong enough to be used as a crumb-coat under fondant?

no, way too slick and slippery. I bet it was part of your problem and your cake might have compressed too. was it a firm cake?

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:27am
post #11 of 16

I thought it would be fine since the icing crusts, but that probably was a part of the problem. Hopefully I can find a simple recipe to use for crumb-coating. Also, I used spice cake mix (undoctored).

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #12 of 16

When I do purse style cakes, or taller tiers, I sometimes split it into two and stack it with cake board and supports, then crumb coat and treat it like it's one entire cake. Maybe you could try that?! icon_smile.gif The cake looks awesome by the way!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:21pm
post #13 of 16

I'm surprised the cake is even standing if you used a straight up spice cake mix and canned frosting!! Consider yourself lucky!

Next time, try adding a pudding mix to your cake mix (that'll firm it up) and add extra powdered sugar to the canned icing (will make it sweeter, but will firm it up!)

then you should have better results!

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:34pm
post #14 of 16

Blessings

I too agree with the "settling" comments. Just looks like you didn't give it enough time to settle. And a thin crumb coat would hurt either. Keep doing it, dont give up.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:47pm
post #15 of 16

Wow, I agree with Khalsead about the spice cake. I won't make spice cakes to cover in fondant because I find them way too soft.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I'm surprised the cake is even standing if you used a straight up spice cake mix and canned frosting!! Consider yourself lucky!

Next time, try adding a pudding mix to your cake mix (that'll firm it up) and add extra powdered sugar to the canned icing (will make it sweeter, but will firm it up!)

then you should have better results!

Wow...I had no idea! icon_surprised.gif I'm definitely looking for better recipes to use with fondant. Thank you for the tip on firming up the icing. I already make my own fondant, royal icing, and gumpaste, so I still want to be able to use store-bought icing for now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%