Holiday Date Weddings

Business By mommicakes Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm by artscallion

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 7

Do you or would you add an additional charge for someone booking a wedding cake on a holiday? And if so, what would you consider reasonable?

Thanks.

6 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 7

No. Holidays are a good time for extra bookings (which means more money). I decided a long time ago that I would block out the week of Christmas and 10 days in the summer. Charging for holidays is (to me) punishing customers for wanting to do business with me.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 7

I've learned that holiday cakes aren't worth it no matter if they pay me extra. I just block the week off and not take business then.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 7

I booked a cake for New Years Day 2011 a few months ago. I haven't even decided prices for next year but I know I wouldn't have increased .75 and that is what I charged. I will be giving up New Years Eve and New Years Day to do this couple's wedding.

I did a cake on December 31, 2009 so I was just coming off of doing a New Years Eve. Holidays will be charged more - I have also done them on Thanksgiving weekend and just did one on Easter Weekend. The Thanksgiving and Easter I didn't charge more but in the future I will. I can't enjoy my holiday time and you can't get that back.

In the future I don't think I will be taking holiday cakes. I just turned on down for July 3rd. I will be horseback riding up at a state park and I didn't want to cancel my plans!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 7

Most businesses pay their employees Holiday Pay (usually time-and-a-half or even double-time) so the add'l labor cost is a legitimate business expense that must be covered. A business is asking their employee to give up their holiday time with their family.

Even if you are the only "employee", you are entitled to compensation for giving up your holiday time wiht your family.

As far as the idea of "punishing" the client for holiday business, I understand the reasoning but respectfully disagree. A bride who decides to get married on a holiday should realize it's a peak time for facilities, labor, etc., and there's a cost to getting prime-time on a calendar.

(Ever try to get a hotel room in Indpls during Memorial --- "Indy 500" -----weekend? Brides who want to block hotel rooms for their guests are going to pay a really high hotel rate because it's race weekend.....it's something they must consider when choosing to get married on that holiday in this town. It's not punishing the bride ... it's basic Supply and Demand.)

I always blocked out Thanksgiving weekend because that was defiinitely my family time holiday and no catering or cake job could pay me (or my staff) enough to miss that holiday.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 7

What's the difference between cake and flowers? Have you ever priced roses for Mother's day, Valentine's Day , Christmas etc.? The price, depending on location, is at least double.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 7

And don't eat in a restaurant on Valentine's Day either. Those Valentine's "specials" are always double too. My sweetie and I always celebrate the day before because we're...frugal, yeah, that's it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%