Help!! Gumpaste And My Pasta Machine

Decorating By infatuated Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm by DianeLM

infatuated Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 4

This isn't exactly a disaster, but I'm running out of time. I bought a pasta machine off Ebay. It's an Atlas, the model GSA advises for fondant. I thought I was going to make the most beutiful bow for my 3 tier cake. I'm using Satin Ice Gumpaste. The machine won't "grasp" it. It takes forever for me to get a piece through (5" wide and 10"long). I'm starting off on the lowest number, but it just sits there. Doesn't make any difference what setting I put it on. And then after going round and round, this "oil" I guess is coming off on the gumpaste.

I've gotten paper towels to get it off, but it just keeps coming back. Could I clean it with alcohol or something. I've been up all night, and I've got to finish this bow. I keep putting the gumpaste in the microwave, kneading, and adding crisco. But to be honest, by the time I get something I can use, it is drying out and starting to crack at the edges. I have only gone to setting 4. It starts to break up when I put water on it, and gather the ends.

Finally, I decided to ask for help. If anybody has suggestions, please, I would truely appreciate it!!! And of coarse, YES, I'm new at this.

3 replies
icer101 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 4

I have an electric imperia. When i clean it, I take a kitchen towel and wet one end. I then set my machine on #1. I put the towel under the roller and slide it back and forth as the machine is running. Then i put a dry part of the towel in the same place. and slide it back and forth as machine is running. Then i put a little crisco on another part of the towel and do the same thing. i usually dust my peice of g/p or g/p and fondant or fondant with powder sugar or powder sugar and cornstarch mixed before i put it in the machine on #1. Hope i have made sense to you.

infatuated Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 4

Makes complete sense. I had no cornstarch or ps on the gumpaste. Maybe it needs that to hold on to. I'll try the cleaning method. Thanks so much!!

DianeLM Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 4

You are probably trying to feed a too-thick piece of fondant through. It's a common mistake. You have to roll your fondant pretty thin before trying to feed it into the machine. See if that works for ya.

Quote by @%username% on %date%