Help!! Gumpaste And My Pasta Machine

Decorating By infatuated Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm by DianeLM

infatuated  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infatuated Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 4

This isn't exactly a disaster, but I'm running out of time. I bought a pasta machine off Ebay. It's an Atlas, the model GSA advises for fondant. I thought I was going to make the most beutiful bow for my 3 tier cake. I'm using Satin Ice Gumpaste. The machine won't "grasp" it. It takes forever for me to get a piece through (5" wide and 10"long). I'm starting off on the lowest number, but it just sits there. Doesn't make any difference what setting I put it on. And then after going round and round, this "oil" I guess is coming off on the gumpaste.

I've gotten paper towels to get it off, but it just keeps coming back. Could I clean it with alcohol or something. I've been up all night, and I've got to finish this bow. I keep putting the gumpaste in the microwave, kneading, and adding crisco. But to be honest, by the time I get something I can use, it is drying out and starting to crack at the edges. I have only gone to setting 4. It starts to break up when I put water on it, and gather the ends.

Finally, I decided to ask for help. If anybody has suggestions, please, I would truely appreciate it!!! And of coarse, YES, I'm new at this.

3 replies
 icer101  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 4

I have an electric imperia. When i clean it, I take a kitchen towel and wet one end. I then set my machine on #1. I put the towel under the roller and slide it back and forth as the machine is running. Then i put a dry part of the towel in the same place. and slide it back and forth as machine is running. Then i put a little crisco on another part of the towel and do the same thing. i usually dust my peice of g/p or g/p and fondant or fondant with powder sugar or powder sugar and cornstarch mixed before i put it in the machine on #1. Hope i have made sense to you.

infatuated  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infatuated Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 4

Makes complete sense. I had no cornstarch or ps on the gumpaste. Maybe it needs that to hold on to. I'll try the cleaning method. Thanks so much!!

DianeLM  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 4

You are probably trying to feed a too-thick piece of fondant through. It's a common mistake. You have to roll your fondant pretty thin before trying to feed it into the machine. See if that works for ya.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%