Sample Cakes?

Decorating By Tellis12 Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 5:40pm by trishvanhoozer

Tellis12 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 9

I have a bride who had a tasting a few weeks ago and now she'd like to book but she wants to try all of the flavors of cake she'd like in her wedding cake. I already told her I only offer one free tasting but she'd be welcome to purchase cakes in the flavors of her choice. Because I'm a small operation and only bake when things are needed, I don't have a large supply of cake on hand. She only wants small amounts of cake and doesn't want to purchase a lot. What should I offer her?

8 replies
SHADDI Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 9

you can offer Cupcake samples.
I am working on offering cupcake samples, that way people can take home and try with their friends and family.
12 cupcakes = 4 flavors (3 cupcake per flavor) or 3 flavors (4 cupcake per flavor)
and give 2 or 3 icing/filling flavor to mix and match with the cake flavor.

hope that helps. as this is an idea in the works for me as well.

all extra left over flavor just freeze or take to work.

Tellis12 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the idea. I may very well go that direction. I was hoping to find something that would keep me from having leftovers that I don't get paid for.

lifeisgood Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 9

May I ask how you conduct a cake tasting? Up to this point all my clients have trusted my judgment and not asked for one. I have a bride that would like to taste 3 varieties of cake - did not want to specify fillings. How do I set this up?

Thank you for your help!!

TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 9

I believe IndyDebi would say that the tasting is to see that you can bake not try every flavor you offer.

I think if you gave her options she can either take one of them or not. You don't have to bend over backwards, espeicially when she doesn't want to pay for it, for her to try every flavor idea/combination she has. What will you do when she comes back the next week wanting to try other flavors.

If she is willing to purchase something, then I would give her the size and price and let her decide if she wants them that bad.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 9

I agree with TexasSugar (via indydebi). She can't expect to taste every combination that comes to mind on YOUR dime! Even if you do cupcakes, I don't know of a recipe that makes just 3-4 cupcakes. (If someone does, I'd LOVE to have it!! icon_biggrin.gif ) The smallest recipe I have is for 12 of 1 flavor. You could freeze the leftovers, but if your idea is to have no leftovers, that wouldn't work.

Is she unwilling to pay for the 2nd tasting? Remind her that you've already given her one free tasting, which is your policy. Explain that you can't just bake a sample of each cake she wants to try, so you'd be left with a lot of cake that you can't sell and would lose a lot of money.

Or here's an idea: Have you already quoted her a price for the wedding cake? If not, maybe you could somehow factor this 2nd tasting into the total cost. But book the job with a deposit before doing this or she could end up not booking with you and you'd still be out the money! I absolutely would not even consider a 2nd tasting until she signs the contract and gives you a non-refundable deposit!

dreamcakesmom Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 9

When brides first contact me I send them a welcome infomrational packet which includes sort of a timeline of steps like a tasting, deposit final payments. In that it states up front that beyond the initial tasting of 2 flavors they would have to pay for additional tasting samples. I would either follow previous poster and do cupcakes but I would not make excessive amounts. Make enough for say 6 cupcakes that she can purchase ALL six. If you start making batches of cakes and then giving them away it defeats the purpose of charging her at all. OR if you foresee more tastings you can do a small 6' cake and freeze for future pastings?

KHalstead Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 9

I charge $20.00 for my tastings (it's applied to the final payment of all cakes totalling over 100 servings)

With that they get to choose 4 flavors of cake and filling (so if they want to try 3 cakes, they can try 1 filling, 2 cakes-2 fillings, etc.)

The cakes come in the form of cupcakes.....they get 4 cupcakes of each flavor they choose, and for the fillings, I stick 4 Tbsp. in a piping bag and secure the back of it with a rubberband.

All the cupcakes get vanilla buttercream, adn then they can squirt the filling on whatever flavor cake they choose to see what combo they like.

If someone wants ANOTHER tasting, they pay ANOTHER $20.00....extra flavors are $5.00 each...........only the initial $20.00 is applied though, anything above and beyond that is not given back to the customer.

trishvanhoozer Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 9

I invested in 4inch cake pans, and I do a tasting with two free cakes, cut them both in half and have four flavors. Any additional flavors or combos I charge $20 per cake. I love the 4 inch pans, they take one half of a normal cake mix recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%