How Far In Advance Can I Make The Cake?

Decorating By nvangel Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm by aswartzw

nvangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nvangel Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 3

Since I'm new to cake decorating, I've still have a ton to learn. I need the cake for Thursday. Can I make it tonight and ice it tomorrow (Tuesday)? Will it be ok in the fridge or should I leave it out? Will the buttercream keep it moist inside?

I usually would have baked it on Tuesday, iced and decorated on Wednesday but this is my 1st time icing a cake (I've been doing fondant) so in case I mess up I wanted to have time to cover it with fondant.

Thanks for all your advice and help!!

2 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 3

Yes, you can bake it today. I always refrigerate my decorated cakes until delivery.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 3

You'll be fine today. I would not refrigerate an uniced cake (it will dry it out). Instead I freeze mine. Wrap it very well and toss it in the freezer overnight and let thaw for about an hour before (still wrapped) before decorating them. If you don't want to do that, then wrap very well and leave on the counter.

Also, there is no reason why you can't ice today. I just prefer to always freeze my cakes overnight before decorating. Just so you'll know with time: I will bake and freeze my cakes up to 2 weeks before the day, pull them out to defrost, and ice and decorate 1 to 2 days before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%