Serving Size For Carved Cakes...

Decorating By armywife1 Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 3:55pm by armywife1

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:22am
post #1 of 7

How do you determine what the serving size is after you've carved a cake?

TIA!

6 replies
armywife1 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone?! icon_confused.gif

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 7

Can't help, but here's a bump.

If you still don't get any replies, you may want to find several in the gallery and then pm the creator.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 7

I don't know if someone has a better way, but I estimate by the amount of servings I baked then try to figure the % I expect to carve off. Subtract a bit more than that because I'd rather have too much than not enough. HTH a bit anyway.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 7

It's pretty much the consensus that whatever size cakes you bake, that's what you charge for. You shouldn't have to swallow the cost of what you carve from a cake, it should be included in your price.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 7

My serving size is always 8 cubic inches of cake. Whether it be 2"x2"x2" or 1"x2"x4". I'm not sure what you're asking though... Maybe how many servings a cake has after it is carved?

armywife1 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 7

I just wanted to know how you would price it. I know you have to include carving time, but wasn't sure if you should go by estimated serving size or the amount of cake you started with. I guess I was just thinking how to determine, for example, a carved fish cake. Some parts are going to be smaller than others, so I wasn't sure how to estimate. Estimating the % would be a good way to start, though. Doe that make sense? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%