Gold Fondant And/or Butter Cream Frosting

Decorating By Nobuko Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm by sugarlovemom

Nobuko Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:40am
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone,
I'd appreciate if someone woule give me an advise or two. I've seen a lot of cakes covered with gold fondant. How do I get the color if I'm making my own MMF? Do I paint with gold afterwards? I have powder gold (assuming that's called pedal dust) but seems like it takes A LOT to get the color I'm trying to get if I use the powder.... And also is there anything else I can use to make butter cream frosting gold? HELP!!

4 replies
missyd4e Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:56am
post #2 of 5

Here is a bump. I have tried to do this without good results.

leily Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:01am
post #3 of 5

Best way to get a true bright gold is to use luster dust (petal dust isn't quite the same thing, but i forget what the difference is, there is a thread on here somewhere that explains all the differencese)

To get a true bright gold I mix the luster dust (powder) with vodka and then paint. The alcohol in the vodka evaporates leaving you with a nice coat of gold on the fondant/buttercream.

icer101 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #4 of 5

I use americolor gold for my buttercream. Pic in photos of golden anniversary cake.Have not colored fondant with it . Americolor has gold sheen airbrush that is beautiful for this purpose. PME brand has cans of gold sheen. and Lucks has all these beautiful sheen colors. Can be used on buttercream or fondant. hth

sugarlovemom Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 5

I had the same question a couple of months ago... since i'm a newbie! and a lady told me to try americolor airbrush colors... you can paint your fondant carefully with a soft paint brush... those colors are soooo cooool!!!! i couldnt believe it!!! i wish i had them before!!! the gold will look like gold and not like shinny yellow ( thats what i used to get with the gold dust even using vodka) try the americolors and i'm sure you'll love it as much as i do!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%