Have You Ever Reported Anyone?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 1:45am by kellertur

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:37pm
post #31 of 90

I wouldn't report anyone. To each their own. I believe in Karma, you get what you give, it all comes back around.

I don't secretly check out the competition because I don't believe there is any. I don't mean that in a snobby way, but rather every baker is different and has something great to offer. I believe there is always enough business to go around. Because taste is so varied, customers may chose their baker based on just that.

If a customer chooses one baker over another does it mean that the baker that wasn't choosen is an awful baker? Not at all. I don't fret over why or why not. My focus is on me, my work and my paying customers. I have clients that come to me for some items and go to others for other things. And that's okay.

I've often referred clients to other bakers if I feel they would do a better job on a particular order. I know my strengths and like everyone, I have weakenesses.

Bottom Line: If a customer chooses to go to an unlicensed business, Buyer Beware. *Unless I witnessed unsanitary food conditions or practices that would without a doubt be harmful...That I would report.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #32 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

I wouldn't either. Stay on the high road. Don't sink to her level. Even though it would probably satisfy you in that instant to report her, she will have even more reason to bad mouth your business. .

I did state I wouldn't report someone just to "get even". How would that be even remotely satisifying? Would I feel guilty? No one can make ME feel guilty about something they are doing wrong. icon_confused.gif They have no power to do that. I feel they must obviously have some serious self esteem issues to feel the need to bash me. I have to say, that yes my product is visually better (not sure about taste?) but I would never tell a customer that their work stunk just so I could get the sale.

Thanks for the food for thought, and I do feel a phone call to this baker is in order to maturely but firmly let them know I'm on to their game. I'm not going to threaten them, I don't dig that...but if it doesn't stop or escalates, they'll be hearing from my lawyer. icon_biggrin.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:02pm
post #33 of 90

I know a couple of unlicensed bakers in my area. And you know what... I know a couple of these same people who are not in "business" anymore!

What goes around comes around. Doing something unethical will always catch up to you in the long run. If you start your business out on the wrong foot by being unlicensed, bad mouthing people it will only end in disaster.

I would however give her a call or shoot her an email and confront her that way. Let her know what you've heard.. Definitely stand up for your business! But turning her in for trash talk is not a good enough reason.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #34 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsq

As someone who went to the expense of creating a commercial kitchen, I would report her. I don't care who is or isn't bad mouthing me. These two topics are apples and oranges for me.

Turning her in has nothing to do with me being a "meanie". I am one of the kindest, most benevolent people you would ever want to meet, if I do say so myself icon_wink.gif .

Reporting her has to do with the fact that there are rules and laws in place for a reason, whether someone agrees with them or not, whether someone makes the investment or not. Whether someone wants to afford to comply or not.

It was tough for me to build my kitchen. It was a hassle with the town. It took time to send the registered letters. It took a lot of money. And it took effort. We had to sue the hood contractor and in the 5 years it took--yes, 5 years as we wanted to avoid a lot of debt, we had our second child.

In the end, when I see an unlicensed kitchen, I see a report coming on. Why is it okay for my husband to spend painful days on his knees installing ceramic tile in order to be compliant but not the next guy? Why is it okay for that business to dilute our local income base?

Why is it okay for someone to blatantly ignore laws and rules?
Stepping off the soapbox now...

EDIT TO ADD: I might be confused here...as the original post kind of jumps all over the place. My opinion stands if the baker is working out of an unlicensed, uninspected kitchen.

My thoughts exactly! I have for these exact same reasons. I spent alot of time, effort, and money to become legal. Why shouldn't they have to also?

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #35 of 90
Quote:

As someone who went to the expense of creating a commercial kitchen, I would report her. I don't care who is or isn't bad mouthing me. These two topics are apples and oranges for me.

Turning her in has nothing to do with me being a "meanie". I am one of the kindest, most benevolent people you would ever want to meet, if I do say so myself icon_wink.gif .

Reporting her has to do with the fact that there are rules and laws in place for a reason, whether someone agrees with them or not, whether someone makes the investment or not. Whether someone wants to afford to comply or not.

It was tough for me to build my kitchen. It was a hassle with the town. It took time to send the registered letters. It took a lot of money. And it took effort. We had to sue the hood contractor and in the 5 years it took--yes, 5 years as we wanted to avoid a lot of debt, we had our second child.

In the end, when I see an unlicensed kitchen, I see a report coming on. Why is it okay for my husband to spend painful days on his knees installing ceramic tile in order to be compliant but not the next guy? Why is it okay for that business to dilute our local income base?

EDIT TO ADD: I might be confused here...as the original post kind of jumps all over the place. My opinion stands if the baker is working out of an unlicensed, uninspected kitchen.

Jewels that was very well said..don't know if I would do it, but I like your thinking and reasoning behind it! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:44pm
post #36 of 90

Torchwood, maybe it is a good idea for you to call this person and let her know that you're aware of her bad mouthing you. It's slander. I posted last night that I think that people that do this "bad mouthing" of others only look bad and distrustful to others but that doesn't mean you shouldn't call her on it. I think it's probably a good idea. If your phone call doesn't put a stop to her comments then maybe futher action on your part will icon_wink.gif

pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:03pm
post #37 of 90

I will not. Don't waste your energy paying attention to gossip. You have a talent and what a good feeling when customers come to you and you can show them what they are saying is not true. You became license and good for you!!!!! But I think is the customers duty to know who's doing their cakes!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:04pm
post #38 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwood

Quote:

I wouldn't either. Stay on the high road. Don't sink to her level. Even though it would probably satisfy you in that instant to report her, she will have even more reason to bad mouth your business. .

I did state I wouldn't report someone just to "get even". How would that be even remotely satisifying? Would I feel guilty? No one can make ME feel guilty about something they are doing wrong. icon_confused.gif They have no power to do that. I feel they must obviously have some serious self esteem issues to feel the need to bash me. I have to say, that yes my product is visually better (not sure about taste?) but I would never tell a customer that their work stunk just so I could get the sale.

Thanks for the food for thought, and I do feel a phone call to this baker is in order to maturely but firmly let them know I'm on to their game. I'm not going to threaten them, I don't dig that...but if it doesn't stop or escalates, they'll be hearing from my lawyer. icon_biggrin.gif

I think you took me wrong... I wasn't saying that you would do it to get even. And I said that "I" would probably feel guilty, that's just me....not saying you should feel any certian way.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:08pm
post #39 of 90

I would not report them. Because there are many people baking without a license to make ends meet for their family. Times are hard. Some might even be on CC. Just think of the repercussions. It could get ugly! Just because you report them that doesn't mean the bashing will stop. The most that can happent to them is they get closed and maybe fined. So then you become their prime target. They begin calling inspectors on you and things escalate. Let God Handle it. You will have to deal with the backlash.

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:10pm
post #40 of 90

I am not sure that I would call her out on the "trash talk". I agree w/ dalis4joe that most people take trash talk about a competitor w/ a grain of salt and for me, personally, it is actually a reason for me to take my business elsewhere. If you decide to make a phone call or send email to this person, be very careful how you handle yourself during the conversation. The last thing you want is that juicy tidbit added to any future comments she might make regarding you and your business. You are a business owner and a professional. Your reaction is the one that will be in the spotlight, not hers.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #41 of 90

I would not report them. Because there are many people baking without a license to make ends meet for their family. Times are hard. Some might even be on CC. Just think of the reprocaution. It could get ugly! Just because you report them that doesn't mean the bashing will stop. The most that can happent too them is they get closed and maybe fined. So then you become their prime target. They begin calling inspectors on you and things escalate. Let God Handle it. You will have to deal with the backlash.

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:44pm
post #42 of 90

As far as being unethical, I'm sure there are people who go through proper procedure because they are afraid of getting caught, not because they're taking some moral high ground. If another person is willing to take that risk, it doesn't necessarily make them a bad person. As someone else said, times are hard and this person may not have any other way to make money. I'm just saying you don't know this person's situation and I really don't think it's fair to judge them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:37pm
post #43 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

As someone else said, times are hard and this person may not have any other way to make money. I'm just saying you don't know this person's situation and I really don't think it's fair to judge them.

Hot dog! With a daughter coming up with college expenses and me w/o any big cash surplus, I'm happy to know that no matter WHAT illegal activity I choose to participate it, that all of you will consider that "times are hard" and will look the other way and not call Child Protective Services when I open my sweat shop, or call the Zoning Dept when I open my "Women Over 50 Pole Dancing Lessons" studio! Woooo-Whoooo! party.gif I am home free to do ANYTHING I want! (Unless I use a photo of your cake on my website, which will bring out the lynch mob mentality against me .... THAT is unforgiveable and I already know that so I'll avoid that one. icon_rolleyes.gif )

Oh, and while I'm doing all of that, I can tell all of my customers a bunch of lies about my competition that will hurt their business and no one will call me on it. (And I wont' kid *MY* self .. bad mouthing them WILL hurt their business!) Thank HEAVENS for that woman way of thinking of always wanting to be NICE to people and not want to hurt anyone Feeeeeeeelinnnnnnngs and wanting everyone to LIKE them! Never thought that would work to my benefit.

This is all very nice to know!!! thumbs_up.gif

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:00pm
post #44 of 90

LOL you can always count on indydebi. she is my hero!!!

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:14pm
post #45 of 90

Not excusing what the lady is doing, but if this all because of a bunch of bad words. Vengence never solves anything. You can't stop people from speaking what they want. Just don't let it be true. All the bickering will run customers away. Let them see her ignorance, because this says something about her.

Ask if I retaliate Will it help solve the problem or will it only make matters worse? it only makes matters worse. yea she will call and the lady will close and then what. Do you thing she is acutally going to stop? Now she probably purposely start calling health inspectors and get even worse.

(Mod edited for content.)

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:25pm
post #46 of 90

WOW never thought this thread would leave me LMAO! Thanks indydebi! BTW I just turned 50, so sign me up for classes!

Your points are very well made!!!!

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:39pm
post #47 of 90

I think the difference between reporting someone and going after them when they post my cake is this........when you work out of your kitchen without a license, you aren't directly affecting me. You post my cake, well, then you just made it personal. It's apples and oranges really.

Personally, I wouldn't report them but that's just me. I don't like to stick my nose where it doesn't belong. Well, except for the one time I took a picture of my neighbor's girlfriend's car so I could show his wife. Other than that, I typically just worry about myself.

kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:46pm
post #48 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-Sensation-Cakery

Not excusing what the lady is doing, but if this all because of a bunch of bad words. Vengence never solves anything. You can't stop people from speaking what they want. Just don't let it be true. All the bickering will run customers away. Let them see her ignorance, because this says something about her. Ask if I retaliate Will it help solve the problem or will it only make matters worse? it only makes matters worse. yea she will call and the lady will close and then what. Do you thing she is acutally going to stop? Now she probably purposely start calling health inspectors and get even worse. (Mod edited for content.)

I've already stated numerous times I not calling the health dept, nor am I doing anything out of vengence. I was asking what others would do. (Mod edited for content.) icon_smile.gif

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm
post #49 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny0730

I think the difference between reporting someone and going after them when they post my cake is this........when you work out of your kitchen without a license, you aren't directly affecting me. You post my cake, well, then you just made it personal. It's apples and oranges really.

Personally, I wouldn't report them but that's just me. I don't like to stick my nose where it doesn't belong. Well, except for the one time I took a picture of my neighbor's girlfriend's car so I could show his wife. Other than that, I typically just worry about myself.

Wow!! lol

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:58pm
post #50 of 90
Quote:

Quote:

Wow!! lol

Someone else using my pic as theirs would totally PO me. Although I do think that someone doing business out of their kitchen does effect me. It takes business away from me, when I've taken the steps to be legal and they haven't... it's really not fair, but I still don't think I would report them.

Now if you take my pic and use it as your own work, I agree...that's like comparing apples to oranges. Neither are right, but for some reason it just ticks me off more (can't really put a finger on why though).

I ran into this same problem when I did hair and makeup for beauty pageants. A lady took pics of girls I had done h/m on, and was sending them to people as HER WORK. I did confront her, and she had the nerve to ask me "how am I supposed to build up a business without pictures!" I said......." YOU USE PICTURES OF YOUR OWN WORK!" LOL... some people.....geez.... crazy folks out there.

Jenny0730 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm
post #51 of 90

Well, they weren't even smart enough to have her park down the street. I mean, come on.....they practically handed me the information on a silver platter! Plus, he wouldn't answer the door when I tried to return her dish she had loaned me. icon_twisted.gif Had to watch out for my girl! icon_biggrin.gif

Back to your regularly scheduled programming..........

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:03pm
post #52 of 90
Quote:

Well, they weren't even smart enough to have her park down the street. I mean, come on.....they practically handed me the information on a silver platter! Plus, he wouldn't answer the door when I tried to return her dish she had loaned me. icon_twisted.gif Had to watch out for my girl! icon_biggrin.gif

Back to your regularly scheduled programming..........

Lol! Awesome friend icon_lol.gif

Jenny0730 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #53 of 90
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow!! lol

Someone else using my pic as theirs would totally PO me. Although I do think that someone doing business out of their kitchen does effect me. It takes business away from me, when I've taken the steps to be legal and they haven't... it's really not fair, but I still don't think I would report them. Now if you take my pic and use it as your own work, I agree...that's like comparing apples to oranges. Neither are right, but for some reason it just ticks me off more (can't really put a finger on why though). I ran into this same problem when I did hair and makeup for beauty pageants. A lady took pics of girls I had done h/m on, and was sending them to people as HER WORK. I did confront her, and she had the nerve to ask me "how am I supposed to build up a business without pictures!" I said......." YOU USE PICTURES OF YOUR OWN WORK!" LOL... some people.....geez.... crazy folks out there.

That's why I used the word "directly." Hopefully, the customer is picking you because your cakes are super awesome (and they are!) icon_biggrin.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:30pm
post #54 of 90
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow!! lol

Someone else using my pic as theirs would totally PO me. Although I do think that someone doing business out of their kitchen does effect me. It takes business away from me, when I've taken the steps to be legal and they haven't... it's really not fair, but I still don't think I would report them. Now if you take my pic and use it as your own work, I agree...that's like comparing apples to oranges. Neither are right, but for some reason it just ticks me off more (can't really put a finger on why though). I ran into this same problem when I did hair and makeup for beauty pageants. A lady took pics of girls I had done h/m on, and was sending them to people as HER WORK. I did confront her, and she had the nerve to ask me "how am I supposed to build up a business without pictures!" I said......." YOU USE PICTURES OF YOUR OWN WORK!" LOL... some people.....geez.... crazy folks out there.

That's why I used the word "directly." Hopefully, the customer is picking you because your cakes are super awesome (and they are!) icon_biggrin.gif

Well thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm
post #55 of 90
Quote:

(Mod edited for content.) Are you just concerned of the possibility of someone diluting "your local income base (customer pool?)"?? The old phrase holds true even today in all aspects of life(business, personal, etc) Do unto others... I wouldn't report it , its not my business. Their business(customers) are not my business. My business is the customers(income base) that choose my work,craft, food product, prices, etc.

Any yes, I AM licensed, inspected, and insured AND I shelled out a mint to get my basement kitchen up and running.

kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:26pm
post #56 of 90

Was that directed at me CookieMomME? icon_confused.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:26pm
post #57 of 90

well then maybe everyone should start making phone calls to the health dept and the dept of agr. and list all their competition to see who is or isn't illegally running their business....

oh and don't forget those people selling water on the side of the street too... report them too

and the ones selling flowers by the traffic light....

come on... there are tons of people running business w-out proper permits and you don't see poeple hunting them to get them in trouble....

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #58 of 90

exactly! Sometimes people are just trying to make ends meet and besides who can say if the people who told it was telling the truth. also it takes 2 people to hold an conversation. They couldn't talk by themselves. I always ask. What made them feel comfortable with talking about me and most important what did you say. Theres 2 sides to every story. Probably most of the people are people who know them that are doing business with them. (Mod edited for content.)

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #59 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

well then maybe everyone should start making phone calls to the health dept and the dept of agr. and list all their competition to see who is or isn't illegally running their business....

oh and don't forget those people selling water on the side of the street too... report them too

and the ones selling flowers by the traffic light....

come on... there are tons of people running business w-out proper permits and you don't see poeple hunting them to get them in trouble....

That may be true, but those people you mentioned are not playing with my food either. Food industry is different from traffic light flower vendors.

Of course, I don't jump off bridges if all my friends are either. icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:48pm
post #60 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

That may be true, but those people you mentioned are not playing with my food either. Food industry is different from traffic light flower vendors.

Of course, I don't jump off bridges if all my friends are either. icon_lol.gif

Just because someone is has gone through all the proper channels doesn't mean that they always practice food safety. Think about all the resturant that get low scores when they are inspected? And they have to have a low score before they are actually closed down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%