New Approach To Fondant

Decorating By Cookingkimber Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 11:33pm by toreylynn

Cookingkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookingkimber Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:27am
post #1 of 14

I am very excited about what the cricut cake and what it can do and can't wait till I get one. I love decorating and very recently lost the function in my right hand and of course I am a righty, well at least I used to be. The cricut is going to allow me to decorate and continue on with a bit more ease. I missed the bundle sale on hsn and now it doesn't get released in stores here in Massachusetts till may 8th. I don't know a whole lot about the product but what i am wondering is can you attach it to a computer so you can cut custom words and name without having a Gyspy, which appears to be a small portable computer.

Also does anyone have any ideas on a easy way to roll out large pieces of fondant without having to buy a sheeter which is crazy $$$. I only can use my left hand and apply some pressure with my right forearm so fondant is proving to be a real challege. I was thinking maybe if there is a way to combined several smaller sheets that I have run through a pasta roller, this would allow me to still fondant larger cakes. I am still new to decorating and I don't know how if there is away to combine several smaller sheets without there being several lines in the fondant.

any ideas out there???

Also does can someone suggest a website that offers videos about fondant so I learn more.
Thank you to everyone in advance as difficult as losing the use of a hand can be cake decoratoring and rellearning how to decorate with my left hand has gotten methrough this and has given me a new focus.

13 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 14

Wish I could help with your question regarding the Cricut... Sorry about that.
Just wanted to stop in and say Image welcome to CC!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 14

Well, instead of trying to roll fondant one handed. And i don't think its so much rolling as kneading. Try running the frosting sheets through the cricut, they come already rolled out in a sheet and just need to be fed into the machine. You could ice your cake with buttercream and then lay the frosting sheet cut outs on to the cake.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 14

sorry that I can't help you, I have hard enough time with 2 hands. Just wanted to say god bless ya for hanging in there.

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 14

I bought a pasta machine from michaels that is used for the polymer clay and have tried it once. worked pretty good, but of course it's not that wide so it won't produce a big sheet. i've not started playing with my cake cricut yet. have you tried the smaller rolling pins that have the one handle? i have the wooden wilton one that's maybe 6 inches wide. would take you a while, but may work. just a suggestion. http://www.epinions.com/review/Pampered_Chef_Baking_Basics_Baker_s_Roller_1485/content_178814226052 here's a pampered chef one similar to what i'm talking about.

scruffyandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scruffyandstuff Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 14

I missed the bundle for Cricut Cake on HSN initially too. If you sign up for an email for then the Cricut Cake is expected to show again, they will send you an email of thanks with a coupon for any item. With that coupon, you can get the maching for the same price that it was initially sold for, you just have to pay 19.00 for shipping which was free in the initial bundle. FYI - I ordered it & I should have it by 5/7/10.

Cookingkimber Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for everyone's ideas. I bought a small clay/pasta machine that rolls out to be about 6" sheets so I thought if i slightly overlapped the sheets and rolled over the seams with a small one handed roller and kept doing it a few times I would get a sheet wide enough to cover a cake, or at least that is what I am hoping. I just hope that I can get the seams smooth so you don't see the lines.

I am very impatient and bought my cricut the other day off an ebay auction that had them in stock and it wasn't a pre-order like many other sites. I am hoping it gets here in a few days and i can play with it over the weekend.

If anyone thinks of any other fondant suggestions keep them coming, especially with the seams between sheets.

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 14

Hi,
I would like a fondant sheeter too but can't afford it.. but in another forum post someone brought up that you can possibly use bigger clay sheeters for fondant. The aren't electronic but have a handle that you turn to roll it out.. I think you google them you might have some luck. And you turn the handle with your other hand. Someone also said that they put the fondant between two sheets of vinyl when they pass it through the sheeter. I hope that helps you.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 14

I wonder if you could rig up a paint roller with handle kind of thing. I have an old wood rolling pin that used to have a handle. The handle was attached with a metal rod going all the way through the pin. I wonder if a rod could be inserted into one and then attached to a paint roller shaped handle. Hmm, where's our design guru when you need him? LOL

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 14

Maybe even a wringer washer????

Cookingkimber Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:38pm
post #11 of 14

I found directions online on how to build a clay sheeter out of basic piping and materials at a home depot, Now I just have to get someone to give it a try to build it. I will keep everyone posted if I get it built.

toreylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toreylynn Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:57pm
post #12 of 14

cookingkimber do you know the link? my husband and my brother are both pipefitters/plumbers and my dad and my brother can make just about anything i would like to see if they could build it thanks so much icon_smile.gif

Cookingkimber Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:10pm
post #13 of 14

here is the link..let me know what they think after they read the direction.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2704469/making_a_homemade_slab_roller.html?cat=24

toreylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toreylynn Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:33pm
post #14 of 14

after reading it myself i would think that the wood components of it would have to be replaced with something more food friendly maybe stainless steel i printed it for my hubby to take to work and show my brother i will let you know what the "experts" think lol thanks again for the link now i just have to keep nagging to get them to build me one icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%