Best Cake Recipes For Fondant Covered Cakes

Baking By cakeskatiebakes Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm by JanH

cakeskatiebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeskatiebakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:00am
post #1 of 8

Hello I am a new cake decorator learning ALL the what-not-to-do's along the way! The cakes that I make are covered in fondant, and I've used store bought cake mix with them. I have a really hard time while crumb coating because they start to crumble and fall apart! they're just to light and fluffy. I need something more dense and sturdy, but still delicious. Any ideas??? whats the best cake mixes, or homemade recipes for fondant cakes? I would really like your expertise in this area! thanks

7 replies
Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:39am
post #2 of 8

try one of the White Almond Sour Cream (WASC) Recipes here in the recipe section.

cakeskatiebakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:29am
post #3 of 8

thanks for the advise. It sounds so delicious!! also, do you put two icing coats on (one crumb, one thin layer of icing) or do you just crumb coat for fondant? i've seen both ways and im a little unsure.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:21am
post #4 of 8

It may be the brand you use. I find that some work for me and some do not. I have covered cakes with fondant using the box mix as is w/no problem. However, here is what I do to get a denser cake from a box mix:

Add 1 small box of instant pudding to your mix (use a complimentary flavor), add 1 extra egg making 4 eggs total, and up the oil to 1/2 cup.

Bake as usual.

I do not crumb coat with a thin layer. I make my icing just a little thicker than when I crumb coat that way people can get plenty of BC along with fondant.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

I make my icing just a little thicker than when I crumb coat that way people can get plenty of BC along with fondant.

Just a note on this, if you put too much buttercream under your fondant the fondant will slide.

cakeskatiebakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 8

Hey thanks N8smom for the tip about boxed mix! Cause to be honest with you thinking about making all my cakes from scratch every single time sounded pretty grueling. Do you make the pudding, or just add the pudding powder from a box
.... ya my first fondant cake I made I used a really really thin layer of crumb and you could see everything through. My second cake I used waaaay too much and it was squirting out the bottom and it was insane!! So I just need to find that perfect balance. thanks for the replies icon_biggrin.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 8

You just add the powder to the dry mix.

I don't put on a really thick layer like I would when I just ice with butter cream, but not so thin like a true crumb coat.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebakes

I have a really hard time while crumb coating because they start to crumble and fall apart! they're just to light and fluffy.

If you're pulling up cake with the frosting, I'd say your frosting is too thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Most people crumb coat in order to seal in the crumbs on a freshly baked cake so that the crumbs don't appear on the finished iced surface.

I always crumb coat out of habit.

I lightly ice the cake with buttercream to the point where I can still see the color of the cake. I let it sit or refrigerate it at this point (because the crumb coat acts like a layer of saran wrap).

My icing only lightly crusts, but this just means that when you touch it, no icing comes up on your finger. When I go to put on the finish coat of icing, I get no cake crumbs on the surface this way. Another benefit can be that, especially in hot weather, the finished coat of icing is less likely to slide off of the cake sides.

HTH
Rae

You could also chill or freeze your cake/s to firm them up a bit. But thinning out the frosting will help a great deal.

Add more liquid to your buttercream so that it is a medium (spreadable) not thick consistency for one step/ finish b/c coating or thin for crumbcoat. Also, don't lift the spatula when you're moving the frosting around:

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/using-a-spatula.cfm

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%