Photo Comments Are Hard To Come By!!!

Lounge By turtlemom Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 2:19am by kellertur

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:52pm
post #31 of 62

I pay very little attention to the comment section, probably because I rarely comment. I think number of views and saved as favorites is just as nice.

Oh, and some people are awfully grouchy today!

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:54pm
post #32 of 62

ellie~ it's human nature to want a little acceptance and assurance....even if some people want to act like it doesn't matter to them.

Rachie204 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm
post #33 of 62

i agree with Jenny that favorites are just as nice

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #34 of 62

Thanks Rachie

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:05pm
post #35 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

As long as the customer liked it, who cares what Joe Blow on the www thinks? Yeah, a comment is welcomed but we shouldn't focus so much on them.

This is true, except for the hobby bakers. For some, this is the place they can go to get someones oppinion other than family and friends. And it's nice to hear from someone who understands all the hard work that goes into our cake.

mariana7842731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariana7842731 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:25pm
post #36 of 62

Hi everyone. Sometimes I click on a thumbnail thinking it's something else, and it turns out to not be what I thought. So whether it was better, worse, or something else, it varies. Don't be offended.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:41pm
post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom

maybe I should just make a new post that states malakainrop comments are not needed. You said your peace now move on, maybe you are not a "praise junkie" but you are something else. you are missing the whole point. We do not need your negitivity on this site or in this forum post. Putting people down, as you are, is way worse than not leaving a comment.

I totally agree with this! thumbs_up.gif I believe it was previously stated that we aren't required to leave photo comments which is true but it is nice when you do get them. No one is required to post on a thread either. If you don't like the topic then why try to start something? I'm just sayin'.........

herdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herdream Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm
post #38 of 62

Like others have said, it does feel good to get feedback from others who have no emotional connection to you. Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to make you realize that you are headed in the right direction.

I forgot to turn my comments on and a member sent me a PM stating that she really liked my cookies. I was FLOORED that someone took the time out to do that. I knew my cookies were cool. I worked pretty hard on them. But it felt really good to know that someone else thought so too. icon_biggrin.gif

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm
post #39 of 62

OK - I feel if you click it into favorites... try to take a few minutes to leave a thank you/thought. Sort of like "paying" for borrowing the idea. I try to follow that as idea as much as possible.
BUT mbark - I completely agree with you - I have seen many pics lately with little or no description. Since many of us are here to share & learn, it would be nice to have some info...

Just be kind -

PS: Turtlemom - love your forum pic - precious!

HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:50pm
post #40 of 62

I've been decorating for around a year and love so many many cakes on this site. I've saved quite a few photos as favourites without leaving any comments. It's not because I don't want to, it's mainly because what I want to say, has already been said.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #41 of 62

I know; when 7 people have already said 'Love the border' it seems a little silly to add another.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:21pm
post #42 of 62

I have been on this site for a while now and only uploaded selected pics. Some I was super proud of, some were inspired by the site so wanted to pay homage to the people who inspired and one very recent was one I asked for ideas prior to making and wanted to show the people who offered help the final product. It is nice to read comments but like many have said seeing a string of nice job, nice job didn;t necessarily give me any critical feedback that helps me to improve. An ego boost, absolutely which of course I love! However when i see that a lot of people have saved the pic to their favorites I know it must be considered, good or at least interesting work that may help inspire others which is why I come to this site. Hopefully someone took an idea from me when so many of you have helped me.

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:42pm
post #43 of 62

hey - what about the dorks that comment on the same cakes more than once? because, onceuponadreamcakes, that is what i just did. went in and commented on your twin baby blocks cake; then, i read back through the previous comments and saw that i had already commented.....i used to be smart.... i think....cant really remember.....

Rachie204 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:58pm
post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmisue2009

hey - what about the dorks that comment on the same cakes more than once? because, onceuponadreamcakes, that is what i just did. went in and commented on your twin baby blocks cake; then, i read back through the previous comments and saw that i had already commented.....i used to be smart.... i think....cant really remember.....

lol...that is funny!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:07pm
post #45 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Not everyone has expensive computers and/or high speed internet that lets them bop in and out like lightning.

It takes a while for pages to load, trying to leave a comment quite often jams up my computer and kicks me off completely. It's not worth it most of the time; should I, and others without high speed just not be allowed to open any thumbnails?

YESSS!!!!!!! I know exactly what you are saying!

Untill 6 months ago I lived in the big city with all the techno bells and whistles, High speed internet, router, fast computers, Now I moved wayyyyyyy out into the wilderness hahhaah and the only internet available to me is Dial-up.. and very slow dial up at that (24000kbps) Not even the decent 56K or V90 dialup!

I used to leave comments all the time and was a member of the Gallery supporter group. I liked leaving comments for people who were just starting to give advice or encourage. But now when it takes a full 5 minutes just to load the photo I am guilty of not leaving comments. I will add some too my favorites and hope that people will take that as a compliment.

With 1 dial up connection and 3 people wanting to use the internet my browsing time is very limited! Thats why most of my posts are after 1AM (I'm an insomniac)

Another thing to consider is that some of those 500 veiws are probably comming from people viewing as a guest and are not actually memebrs of CC and therefore can not leave a coment.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:12pm
post #46 of 62

I am a hobby baker that is relatively new to decorating, and love to get comments from impartial third parties because everyone I know oohs and ahhs at my cakes but they are all cake muggles and don't know anything!! Lol!! I would love someone to offer suggestions in terms of how I could have made my cakes look better, but I know that won't happen because people are afraid that they'll offend me (actually I think I'll specify in my descriptions in the future that I do welcome constructive criticism).

I am guilty of not leaving comments when time is an issue, but if I see a cake with no comments, I will try to add something. I do not include constructive criticism b/c I'm afraid that I'll offend someone. I won't lie though either, I'll just comment about the best thing about the cake.

JaimeAnn Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:29pm
post #47 of 62

I do Not upload photos of the cakes I sell.... Most of my photos are of the first cakes I made last year or ones I have made for family..

I do upload copies of my order forms , serving charts, and templates for building things so that someone may be able to use them for help with their business..... I have to admit it is nice when someone says thank you for sharing , It takes time and research to create these things and I share because I would have loved to had help with these things when I was starting.

I think if we all followed the priciple of treat people the way you would like to be treated this would be a much more pleasant WORLD wide web!

It is very hard to interpret how things are "said" on print , be it text , forum, FB, whatever.... there is no emotion tied to words on a screen and it is easy to take things the wrong way. Just as it is easy for people to think they can say anything even if it is hurtfull because they are not personally accountable. We are all just screen-names on a computer in here......

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:46pm
post #48 of 62

I'm pretty new at this. I'll admit that I like to get comments. I'll even get excited for a favorite...and even enjoy seeing my views rise icon_smile.gif But I really just like to know that I'm actually improving a little with each cake I do. I try not to let it discourage me that I don't get very many comments or even favorites, because I'm really quite addicted to this cake decorating thing and I know I'm learning and I know I'm getting better with practice. AND I'm having a blast.

After reading this thread, I'm now feeling a bit guilty that I don't leave many comments icon_redface.gif I will make it a point to leave more.

How about those that do get plenty of comments and don't bother to reply with a simple "thanks for the nice comments"...or to answer someone's question about how they did this or that? Maybe they PM a reply, I don't know...

Oh I almost forgot. The best part about this website is the forums. I have learned so much from so many talented people just by reading and reading and reading. So thanks to all those who take the time to teach us!

JaimeAnn Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:47pm
post #49 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariana7832730

JamieAnn--is that cuz ur in California and u aren't supposed to sell them anyways? I always wonder about the Cali girls in here selling cakes.

No, You can sell cakes in Cali if you do it the right way... Just because someone is from Cali doesn't mean they arent supposed to sell. It just means You have to get licensed and Helth cert. That is quite a broad assumption that anyone from Cali must be selling illegaly....

I am Licensed and Health Code certified ... It is hard to do In Cali. but my Uncle owns a restaraunt that is only being used for catering, I use for all my Cake work. I have my own station in his kitchen.

I know that illegal Caking goes on here but I do not think it is right. We have had many many cases of food poisoning , Hepatitis, E-Coli, and Salmonella here in Kern County directly attributed to the people selling Tamales and other food items in parking lots and such.

I also think that if someone buys a food item from someone that isn't licensed they are taking that risk into thier own hands , But when they serve that to others ie: people at a party/wedding or such , they are taking the responsibility of everyone that eats it into thier hands also. So these laws are there for a reason.

JaimeAnn Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:15pm
post #50 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

How about those that do get plenty of comments and don't bother to reply with a simple "thanks for the nice comments"...or to answer someone's question about how they did this or that? Maybe they PM a reply, I don't know...

Oh I almost forgot. The best part about this website is the forums. I have learned so much from so many talented people just by reading and reading and reading. So thanks to all those who take the time to teach us!

I usually PM or email anyone that has a question ..

And yes the forums are the best place to learn! thumbs_up.gif There are some very talented people on here that are vey helpful! icon_biggrin.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:22pm
post #51 of 62

I DO like to see comments... but I also get happy when I see they put it intheir favorites even if there are no comments... cause it means... it's nice enough that they might want to ref. back to it at some time....

Now... when I posted the handpainted cake my hubby did... and I got 2200+ hits... 333 favorites and 36 comments... well I was suuuupppeeerr happy....

so I understand that it feels good to see a comments... but I also know that sometime we are busy and don't always have th etime to stop and comment or like stated above... you might have a slow connection and it's just more of a hassle to leave a comment..

I am also guilty of not leaving comments all the time... even though I still want comments on mine... it's me being a procrastinator.... but I do understand how we want praise at times...

I, personally get my "HIGH" when my client sees their cake and just AWES at how much they like it... and when I get a calll from someone that was at the venue and wants a cake cause they loved the other one I did...

I will work at leaving more comments and more frequently and I want to make sur eyou know that my comments are honest and not phoney ones...

But my mamacita always said... if u don't have anything nice to say... don't say anything at all... so if u think this is so bad from the OP.... hit your back button and go check out another forum... don't make them feel bad for wanting a pat on the back at times....

I lovedddd my pic with the high hits/faves/comments.... so I know it feels good

icon_smile.gif
now lemme go serve dinner to DH b4 he gives me HIS COMMENT hehehehe

JaimeAnn Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:33pm
post #52 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Maybe you should post a photo of dinner , and I will comment on it! hahahahahahahahah

Yummmm That fried chicken and mashed potatoes looks delicious!

LOL

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 10:55pm
post #53 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

How about those that do get plenty of comments and don't bother to reply with a simple "thanks for the nice comments"...or to answer someone's question about how they did this or that? Maybe they PM a reply, I don't know...!

I do see a lot of people say thank you for the nice comments. But if there is something you want to ask about how a cake was done you might want to pm them because some people do not go back to look at the comments on their cake and don't even see the question. I have only had one person not answer a pm that I sent, everyone else was very helpful. And not that I get a lot, but I always do my best to answer any I get.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:18pm
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

As long as the customer liked it, who cares what Joe Blow on the www thinks? Yeah, a comment is welcomed but we shouldn't focus so much on them.

This is true, except for the hobby bakers. For some, this is the place they can go to get someones oppinion other than family and friends. And it's nice to hear from someone who understands all the hard work that goes into our cake.

This is why I enjoy getting comments and saves (and I agree that saves are just as good)...I don't sell cakes so all the people who get my cakes love me so I never completely trust their opinion. icon_biggrin.gif I do try to look at pictures whenever I log on and add comments but sometimes there just isn't time.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:56pm
post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Maybe you should post a photo of dinner , and I will comment on it! hahahahahahahahah

Yummmm That fried chicken and mashed potatoes looks delicious!

LOL

lol.... I might get more comments with that picture hehehehe

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:17am
post #56 of 62

Call me a praise junkie if you like, but when I post pics I look forward to seeing a comment or two and feel a little bad when there aren't any. It's not because I "need" it to know my cake is good, if I didn't like it I wouldn't post it. The reason I look forward to the comments is because this is a community of cake decorators and your, comments good and bad are special because you are looking at it with a "professional" eye and as I am still learning it means a lot. I always feel a bit disappointed when no one takes the time to write one single comment, because hearing from other decorators means something to me. Feel free to make fun of my desperate praise seeking now lol.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:28am
post #57 of 62

There can be so many reasons why many will view a photo but not leave a comment (many have been discussed above).
I would much rather have it just like it is now, where anyone who has time, a fast computer and/or something new to say will add a comment because they truly want to. Not because they feel they have to.
And I don't want anyone to feel bad or guilty for looking at a photo and leave without writing something.
It's great that we have the opportunity to comment, whether it's to compliment or to ask a particular question about the design and learn something new (if you get an answer). But it should not be required to comment. Then, it sort of loses its meaning, don't you think?

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:38am
post #58 of 62

Tonight I was looking through the pictures of the most saved and the most recent cakes that were posted on the home page & I have to say that there were several where there was no comment place to leave one. This happened the other day too & I just HAD to pm the person because I was just blown away by the artwork of their cake. Is there a reason not all cakes posted have comment places? Maybe this is ONE reason people are viewing cakes but not leaving a comment....just saying~~~

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:59am
post #59 of 62

I too look forward to comments on my photos as I am a hobby baker and I don't have a constant stream of customers ordering cakes from me and praising my efforts. I agree with the OP it would be nice if a few more people commented on photos - so what if several people say almost the same thing. I don't feel that I am a Praise Junkie but I do appreciate people telling me that they like and enjoy my efforts.

What I don't understand is why some feel they have to make a special post with a picture of their cake and say - look at my cake, look at what I made, etc. Isn't that what the gallery is for? I don't feel it is necessary to make a special post for this purpose. When I first joined CC this was rare but now it is a common thing on a daily basis. Now to me that's a Praise Junkie!

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #60 of 62

I just posted my 1st pic here today and one person added it to their favorites and I have to say it feels pretty good! I also posted it on my Facebook, and my husbands ex pasted it on her wall with a nice comment! I thought that was a great compliment, and unexpected too. Now, after reading this thread, I will always add cakes I like to my faves and comment if I have something original to say. There is nothing wrong with wanting validation from your peers. It is different than getting it from family, friends and even customers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%