Photo Comments Are Hard To Come By!!!

Lounge By turtlemom Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 2:19am by kellertur

turtlemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtlemom Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 62

This sometimes blows me away. I dont understand how you can have over 500 views of your cake and not ONE comment on it. Really people, it is not that hard to say something if there is not a comment. when I look at a pic and it has no comments or even one, I make sure I leave one........sorry, just had to get that out!! thanks for listening!

61 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:08am
post #2 of 62

Be happy that 500 people thought your cake was worth looking at! These people took the time to check it out and see what you made. That alone is a compliment.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:19am
post #3 of 62

I try to post comments at the cakes I look at. I know how you feel. We all like a pat on the back every once in awhile : )

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:25am
post #4 of 62

WOW...

Quote:
Quote:

PRAISE JUNKIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so NOT going to look now!!

This is totally immature. Don't look if you don't want to, but don't be an ass about it! I agree, everyone does like a pat on the back once in awhile...even YOU malakainrop, if you had any photos posted. I wouldn't be overly worried about it turtlemom. I also agree that it is a compliment all on its own that soooo many people looked at your photo. Your work is GREAT!!! You shouldn't care what others think...good or bad!

turtlemom Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:49am
post #5 of 62

malakainrop you sound like a (mod edited).....I get all the praise in need by my cake orders, which are over flowing.

praise is not what I need. I just noticed that there are a lot of people out there with no comments. I try to leave one for each cake I view, especially if there are none. I am sure a lot of other people feel the same way.
Thanks

turtlemom Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:51am
post #6 of 62

oh and thanks for all the nice comments posted on here! they are appreciated.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:51am
post #7 of 62

As long as the customer liked it, who cares what Joe Blow on the www thinks? Yeah, a comment is welcomed but we shouldn't focus so much on them.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:54am
post #8 of 62

I have to agree with turtlemom.... part of this site should be about encouragement and it really doesn't matter what level your work is, you still need it.

I made it my news years resolution to make a comment on all the pixs I save as a favorite and so far, I have managed to keep up with it. After all, I use them for inspiration and appreciate everyone sharing their work so I can have it to draw on.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:56am
post #9 of 62

Comments are great, but not everyone has time to comment on each cake they like. Time constraints being what they are, I look at cakes, and we know that you can see how many people looked at your photos. If your photos get marked it as a favorite, that is the same as a pat on the back of a job well done! If I get comments on top of that then I am doing a happy dance! I had one that made it to the "most saved" on the front page a couple of months ago and thought I would lose it I was so awed that so many people liked one of my cakes enough to send it to the most saved!

I'm not going to take it personally if no one comments on my cake photos. Afterall, it's not a requirement to comment on each and every cake you look at - it's a privilege that we can exercise as we feel the desire to do so.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:03am
post #10 of 62

I turned my comments off a while back. Not everyone has time to wait for the page to load, it's a hassle when you have dialup. Personally, I'd rather hear a comment from someone who's seen the actual cake.
Quality of a comment, not quantity is how I feel. I'd rather have NONE than a bunch to spare my feelings...I'd rather have genuine comments.

Photos can be deceiving...can make them look way worse or better than they actually were. Don't take it personally...

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:06am
post #11 of 62

I think after all the time we spend making cakes, it just feels nice to have someone say, way to go. nice job.

So, I looked at a few of your cakes and I think your work is great. Nice job. Love the daisys and seriosly wish I had a cupcake right now! Weight watchers be dam@ed!

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:09am
post #12 of 62

We all know it not required to leave a comment. But it does seem odd that 500 people will look at a cake and only 2 people take the time to leave even the shortest of comments. I do try to leave a comment on any picture I view.
I don't have photos because I have dial up and it takes forever to do anything and I am mostly computer illiterate.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:22am
post #13 of 62

Thanks turtlemom for giving me a wake up call, as I'm guilty of rushing through the pics, and if they are hard to see, I will click on them, and sometimes in a hurry not leave a comment. Shame on me for not taking the a little bit of time to make the effort.
MBHazel, I'm going to borrow your resolution.

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:30am
post #14 of 62

Some thoughts:

1. It's nice to hear/read "good job" or "I like this but not that" on something you worked hard on, especially from people you consider to be your peers, or those who share the same passion as you do. It's especially important for newer decorators - like me.
2. Not everyone gets customers, so not everyone will get the "praise" that comes with a cake order.
3. Not everyone knows a particular forum's etiquette...even those who may have been around for a bit.
4. To have 500 views is, in its own way, pretty awesome. People liked the thumbnail enough to want to see more.
5. The biggest compliment is for someone who gets to experience the cake in a multi-sense way (sight, touch, taste, smell...that kind of thing). You know you've done well when those people are enthused about it (whether they're customers or just happy family/friends/etc.).

Ok...thoughts have been exhausted. Back to eating my cupcake (which I decorated...had to use up the icing and decided to practice my roses while I was at it. Yummy practice!).

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #15 of 62

"Praise junkies"...I love that! LOL

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:49am
post #16 of 62

I try and leave a comment on most cakes I look at and for sure, if I put them in my favorites...... We put a lot of work, time, effort and love into our creations. It's always nice to be complimented on your work. Most everyone who post their pictures are willing to share their ideas and techiques, that is what makes this site so great.....

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:57am
post #17 of 62

Let's face it, folks: we all care about what is said here...or we wouldn't be here in the first place. So, in our own ways, we're all "praise junkies." And, really, that's not so bad. Exchanging thoughts, ideas, triumphs, tribulations, etc. is part of what humanity is about, as all of humanity (generally, anyway) strives to reach out...to be heard, or understood.

Think back to when you were learning something. What helped propel you forward? What hurt? There are plenty of people in the same situation.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:22am
post #18 of 62

I try to comment on all the pictures that I see. Sometimes I look at some and think they are great, but I am not able to leave a comment because I have a slow computer at work. I only get an hour lunch and it takes me long enough to load the picture. If I check from my home computer I comment on them because it's faster.

I have seen many beautiful cakes here that have been posted a long time and I am the first or second to comment. I ask myself how is this possible? I think that because so many pics get uploaded daily it's hard to stay on top. People don't get to see the pictures because an hour after it's uploaded it ends up being on page 3 or 4.

There is nothing wrong with people wanting a pat on the back or opinions from other decorators. A client might be happy and think your cake is beautiful. A decorator will look at your cake and help you out by pointing out the flaws (if any) or give you advice and tips for future cakes.
icon_smile.gif

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:25am
post #19 of 62

i really don't think that the OP was speaking about her own pictures....I think she was just trying to encourage others to leave comments on photos in general that don't have any....we all like a pat on the back sometimes. Also a lot of friends and family sometimes think any cake that isn't from walmart is amazing....it would be nice if people could use the comment bar for constructive criticism as well as praise.

kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:31am
post #20 of 62

I'm not a praise junkie, otherwise I wouldn't have turned off my comments. I rarely post photos anymore, I just put them on my website. I'm here to learn. icon_smile.gif

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:49am
post #21 of 62

malakainrop~ I have learned over a number of years from some very wonderful people that you can pretty much say anything in life as long as you say it in the right way. Constrictive criticism will usually be well excepted by most mature individuals. It's not what you say it's how you say it. And it's not about walking on egg shells or sugar coating things, it's about having respect for another person and being tactful. If comments were made in that way, the majority of people would be fine with it. However when people are outright rude or disrespectful to one another (as you have been in this post) is when people get offended.

turtlemom Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:50am
post #22 of 62

maybe I should just make a new post that states malakainrop comments are not needed. You said your peace now move on, maybe you are not a "praise junkie" but you are something else. you are missing the whole point. We do not need your negitivity on this site or in this forum post. Putting people down, as you are, is way worse than not leaving a comment.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:54am
post #23 of 62

Not always, but many times I don't leave a comment if the member did not put any details below their photo. I figure if they don't take the time to tell us a little about the cake I'm not taking time to comment.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:55am
post #24 of 62

I agree with Rachie204 and turtlemom. thumbs_up.gif

kellertur Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:03am
post #25 of 62

...I've not seen your cakes, but if you are getting massive amounts of views, then that's good! icon_smile.gif

In all fairness, what you just wrote about malakainrop was rather rude.
I don't think they meant you were a praise junkie, because what I think has happened in the past is that some people try to give polite constructive criticism and it is still taken the wrong way, and then the person trying to help is hung out to dry. Yes there are rude people on here too, but it's confusing when someone asks for honest opinions, and you offer to help and then they feel offended.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:13am
post #26 of 62

I also agree with Rachie204 and Turtlemom. Malakainrop.....not sure of your intentions but you come across VERY rude!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:04am
post #27 of 62

I know what the op is saying. I've seen some pretty amazing cakes on here that have no comments at all. I'm just as guilty as the next for not taking the time to comment.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm
post #28 of 62

Not everyone has expensive computers and/or high speed internet that lets them bop in and out like lightning.

It takes a while for pages to load, trying to leave a comment quite often jams up my computer and kicks me off completely. It's not worth it most of the time; should I, and others without high speed just not be allowed to open any thumbnails?

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:19pm
post #29 of 62

I always leave a comment if there is not one if I look at a cake and I always leave a comment if I add that pic to my faves. I am guilty I guess of not commenting on every cake I look at if it has comments already.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:48pm
post #30 of 62

I'm new to cake decorating. I started this past winter. When you're new at something it is nice to get that "pat on the back" to reassure you that you're doing OK.
I know I have a long way to go to be as good as many of you. I know I make an Easter cake and I thought my bunnies your so cute. Over 130 people looked at my cake and no one commented or saved. So I think, Wow, over 130 people and none of them thought it was good. That sounds really insecure doesn't it. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%