How To Apply Corn Syrup / Vodka Glaze Without An Airbrush

Decorating By Byron Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm by Ballymena

Byron Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 6

I have lookes through every subject discussion I could find regarding putting a glaze on black fondant. If this has already been covered I appologise.

I want to put the glaze on black fondant with an impressed pattern on it and have decided to use the corn syrup/vodka coating as the cake is for a friend who is vegan.

Question: How do I apply if I don't have an airbrush. Any ideas. At present I am considering a latex make-up sponge (new obviously), do you think this would work or just plain crazy?

5 replies
DianeLM Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 6

Interesting. I've never heard of putting corn syrup+vodka in an airbrush.

I normally use a sponge or a brush to apply glaze. However, I'd caution you to stay away from anything made of latex in your decorating. Some people have severe allergies that can be triggered by touching or consuming anything that latex has come in contact with.

sharlanet Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:24am
post #3 of 6

I used a pastry brush.

Byron Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the advise, i had assumed everyone used an airbrush. Also good note about the latex. icon_smile.gif

Jealena Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 6

Does this glaze make the fondant shiny and does it still dry hard? Never heard of it (yes I am a newbie!!) What is the ratio? I see you just brush it on..I have done lots with fondant but have steamed it to finish it off...very curious about the end product,I have about 1,000 gumpaste flowers for a wedding cake, I have hand painted all the tips to give them varying color, would this make them shiny???

Ballymena Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 6

Try a natural sponge, usually available in art stores.

Quote by @%username% on %date%