Freakin' Humidity!

Decorating By all4cake Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 12:51am by Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 11

I was on target (time-wise) with today's order. By Friday the liners for cupcakes were delivered, loopy bow for main cake done, ingredients measured out, sifted and put in place waiting until after yesterday's deliveries to begin (this order included cupcakes and I hadn't enough freezer space for them and the layers so I waited...that, and the ingredients were numerous to complete it...anyway, I thought it'd be best to focus on it).

Yesterday, I bake the layers and finished up the cupcakes last night. Got the layers into the freezer.

I woke up this morning, the bow had collapsed! I make these stinkin' bows ALL the time! It was like fog rolled into my house and sat on it. This was 9a.m.. The order was due at 1p.m.. I was so upset I could hardly steady my hands.

I wound up making half as many loops, twice as wide and used the oven...

the cake didn't get the details it should've but it had a bow on it! LOL!

10 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 11

oh, I am so sorry !! Humidity is the enemy !!!
Think on the bright side..aleast everything got done and was delivered.

all4cake Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 11

No kidding! I was beyond relieved when it was all delivered. She was all delightful about me being 20 minutes late (I'm navigationally challenged...printed off the map (less than 3 miles from my house actually) but looked at it cockeyed or something...anyway, I'm lost on the wrong side of the highway looking for this stupid road...)

Reeeeeeeeeeally glad today is OVER as far as sweets are concerned...I think I'll take a nap before getting on to tomorrow's orders...

(anyone happen to know of a natural energy booster that actually works?)

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 11

natural energy booster that works.... ORANGE JUICE !!! yup. if you ever notice college and professional sports keep slices of oranges in a bowl for the players. I drink it at work, when I am feeling sleepy and peps me up for hours.

all4cake Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 11

No, I've never noticed that (could be 'cause I don't watch sports...)

I'll definitely try that though!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 11

Awwww...and here I was thinking it probably wasn't as bad in GSO right now as it is here (it was 89% humidity with a heat index of 98 degrees at 7:15 am today)

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 11

I just tried to tell someone this on another post but other's came behind me and said they've never had a problem. Heat, humidity, rain= all affect drying time of fondant. Glad you found a fix!

all4cake Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 11

cheeseball, what's GSO?

It was a fondant/gumpaste mix and this is the first time that I've had one collapse on me that had been made in advance like that...I have had them go limp if I tried to assemble them too soon and it was humid. Had I known, I would've added some tylose to the mix or something. Maybe what I was working with was degraded...I don't know. The remade one was straight up gumpaste and I still was holding my breath until it was delivered.

I do know that I allowed myself to chillax about things which is unusual. Normally, I treat everything as if it was THE time something could go wrong.

cheeseball Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:31am
post #9 of 11

Greensboro! icon_biggrin.gif

cheeseball Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:33am
post #10 of 11

Sorry, I've gotten in the habit of using airport abbreviations icon_redface.gif

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:51am
post #11 of 11

The humidity drives me crazy too, South Florida is the WORST!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%