Airbrush Color Vs. Edible Ink Cartridges

Decorating By shelbycompany Updated 5 Jan 2013 , 6:39pm by icingimages

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 7

I found refillable ink cartridges that come empty and are compatable with the printer I want to get. I was wondering if I have to buy the edible ink refills from kopykake of if I can just fill them with airbrush colors. Is there a diffrence in the consistancy of airbrush color and edible ink color? Thank you!

6 replies
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:26am
post #2 of 7

Be really careful. Edible inks that are used in the printers are different than airbrush colors. When you fill an edible cartridge the first time, it takes special pressurized eqipment to get it right.

tacobelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tacobelle Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:40am
post #3 of 7

I'm wondering if there is any new information on this topic.

Between CIS for home printers becoming more popular, and empty cartridges being sold - both of which can be filled initially with edible colors (not requiring any special pressurization for the newer models or anything) - WHY couldn't airbrush colors be used as printer ink? I read in another thread here where someone actually used airbrush ink to refill a cartridge in an emergency when they ran out of edible ink, but that's where the thread stopped and I can't find any mention of anyone doing it on a regular basis.

Why would ink formulated to be sprayed from an airbrush be any different than ink made to be sprayed from a printer head? (Maybe because the atomization process differs? I'm trying to find out!) Are airbrush colors actually different than edible printer ink? I've read claims that they are, but noone seems to be able to really explain the difference.

Any experience would be greatly appreciated!

icingimages Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:22am
post #4 of 7

We do not recommend using airbrush colors in printers. The formulas are different. The color combination as well as the purity/thickness of the inks are different. Airbrush colors can contain more alcohols which can burn the printheads out.

clavigne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clavigne Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 7

Where can I find colour silver and gold refill for printer cartridge?

clavigne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clavigne Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 7

Can we use the refill bottle of edible  silver colour for edible ink pen to refill the printer cartridge?

icingimages Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 7

Do not use anything but EDIBLE INK that is made for EDIBLE PRINTER CARTRIDGES in your printer, not only will you get poor color quality, but you will end up ruining your printhead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%