Messy Fondant

Decorating By mariac38 Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 1:32am by ChoueiriCakeCo

mariac38 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 6

As i was rolling my fondant it started sticking to the rolling pin so i dusted it and my surface with cornstarch, it worked but my fondant had cornstarch marks all over it. I thought after I covered my cake and decorated it the marks would be gone, but they didnt!
What should i have used to dust my pin and surface with?

5 replies
ladyk333 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 6

Hi! I know some people use icing sugar (sifted so there are no lumps), and many people use cornstarch. I've used both, but I do have a little mini sifter that I shake over the table surface, rolling pin and my chunk of fondant. Otherwise, a bigger bit may mar up your surface more. I watched Ron Ben - Israel do a tutorial and he dusted everything with icing sugar, used a dry pastry brush to very gently brush off the surface of the cake afterward and he also used a lint free, lightly moist cloth to "buff" the surface of the cake at the end. If you google Satin Ice, that is where the tutorial is. there are lots of helpful tutorials on that site. I have heard that icing sugar "blends" into the fondant better than cornstarch, and that cornstarch can be more drying. Someone else may know more about that.

Good luck!

mamawrobin Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 6

I always use cornstarch to roll out my fondant. I use a steamer to remove any traces of cornstarch and it also gives a nice sheen to my cake. Just don't touch it until it dries completely or you'll leave fingerprints. Before I bought my steamer I used a paper towel with a little crisco on it to clean my cake. The steamer is much easier and works much better though.

peg818 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 6

I use another piece of fondant, just ball it up (left overs from covering) and use that to rub the surface of the cake down.

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 6

I don't roll on any powders, so I save the clean up step all together.

I roll on a smear of crisco on a vinyl or silicone mat. No sticking, no mess.

HTH
Rae

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I don't roll on any powders, so I save the clean up step all together.

I roll on a smear of crisco on a vinyl or silicone mat. No sticking, no mess.

HTH
Rae

Same here, my work space no longer looks like a sugar bomb exploded icon_lol.gif

But if your fondant looks too shiny from the crisco, you can dust the cake with cornstarch or powdered sugar to remove the shine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%