Anyone Have Experience W/ Axis 8 Qt Mixer?

Decorating By Swede-cakes Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 1:51am by Swede-cakes

Swede-cakes Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 17

I'm researching options for a mixer larger than my 5qt KA. After reading through the concerns that some CC'ers had with plastic gears and seizing motors, as well as reviews on online sites for similar issues, I think there must be something out there besides KA Pro-6, Viking and Cuisinart.

Does anyone here have either good or bad experience using the Axis 8qt?

Thanks in advance!

16 replies
leepat Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 17

Gonna give you a bump I would like to know too.

Swede-cakes Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks, leepat! icon_biggrin.gif I'm still online digging deeper in to my quest! I've also found that Waring makes a larger mixer, but reviews are mixed there as well. With the amount of wedding orders coming up, I'm looking to spend my time as efficiently as possible, and am having a hard time picturing single batch after single batch of BC in my 5qt KA.

Wallet isn't ready for a $1000+ Globe or other commercial qty machines, and my husband would seriously wonder what the heck is going on in my brain if I plunked one of those bad-boy bench mixers down on the kitchen counter!

leepat Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 17

I am with you on that. I would love to have a larger mixer than my 5 1/2 qt. KA but the cost is really holding me back.

Swede-cakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 11:51am
post #5 of 17

Come on, now, friends! No one has used anything besides KA, Viking or Cuisinart and lived to tell about it? icon_wink.gif

cakecraft Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 17

Hi Swede-cakes, we're in the same boat. I need a new mixer but want to do double/triple batches as well. I'm watching to see what response you get.

iwantcookies Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 17

I was just looking at this mixer the other day. I came across this on flikr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisamorriscakes/4388327993/in/pool-cake_toy_review

I think it's the axis, but the brand used here in Australia is Birko, which is an Australian company. (correct me if i am wrong!!) www.birko.com.au

Kitagrl Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 17

I was looking at an Axis too, it seems fairly affordable....I saved it for future reference... I can't keep paying to get my KA's repaired all the time.

Swede-cakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 17

I'm on the phone with Central Restaurant Supply to find out feedback and get their pricing. Here are the results...

Axis mixers are made by Jet Tech. The CRS rep said they'd steer me away from that brand as there isn't a great quality reputation. He suggested the Hamilton Beach CPM-700 7qt as a highly recommended alternative. It runs around $599, and H-B has a solid warranty repair/replacement program in place.

He's also getting me pricing on a Berkel 10 qt. Berkel is made by Hobart. Their 10qt is a 14"x18" footprint so apparently it's not one of those big bench mixers.

I hope to find a bigger mixer soon!

Swede-cakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 17

Yikes. The Berkel 10qt is $1499. My wallet just had a heart attack.

Kitagrl Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede-cakes

I'm on the phone with Central Restaurant Supply to find out feedback and get their pricing. Here are the results...

Axis mixers are made by Jet Tech. The CRS rep said they'd steer me away from that brand as there isn't a great quality reputation. He suggested the Hamilton Beach CPM-700 7qt as a highly recommended alternative. It runs around $599, and H-B has a solid warranty repair/replacement program in place.

He's also getting me pricing on a Berkel 10 qt. Berkel is made by Hobart. Their 10qt is a 14"x18" footprint so apparently it's not one of those big bench mixers.

I hope to find a bigger mixer soon!

$599 isn't too bad considering I just spent about $250 repairing my two 6 qt KAs... icon_rolleyes.gif

I'd like to get 8qt or larger though if possible....well not much larger LOL something countertop!

leepat Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks for the update. I think I will look at the Hamilton Beach also, not a bad price.

Swede-cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:19pm
post #13 of 17

Now that I've searched the H-B CPM700 online, I see there are far more places that are less expensive than CSR. Like $470.64 at mixerworld.com. Even with shipping it still comes out cheaper than CRS. Time for the final leg of my journey...price comparison!

Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 17

I hope you will post where you finally find a deal!!!!! What qt are you looking for?

Swede-cakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:26pm
post #15 of 17

Kitagrl, I'm trying to move up from the love-of-my-life KA 5qt. Never had a single problem with it, but I need a bigger capacity. Looking at 7 and 8 qt, as the 10s jump way up in price, and are just too darned expensive for me right now.

Kitagrl Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 1:33pm
post #16 of 17

Yeah I'd love an 8qt.... I have two 6at KAs and I've had to repair one of them TWICE and one of them once. I've only had the one for like 6 years, and one was a refurb I've only had for about 2 years. To me, that's not real great odds....$100 per mixer of repairs every 2 years???

Yeah soon I'll be looking to get a more reliable one....

Swede-cakes Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:51am
post #17 of 17

The result of my search has concluded, and I'm in love... with my Cuisinart 7qt! I decided to go with the SM-70 instead of the Hamilton Beach because I couldn't find any consumer or pro reviews on the HB.

Here's how it went down.

Last Friday, I was in the middle of doing cakes for the weekend and had just finished a single batch of bc in my KA. The FedEx guy brought the Cuisinart and I carried it into the kitchen and placed it on the table. I went back to work, but kept stealing glances at the box...until...I said s*r*w this! I'm taking a break and ripping that box open!! I was so excited that I decided to wash everything and do my next bc batch as a double in the new mixer. But...my workhorse KA was sitting there on the counter. Always reliable, dusted in sugar. I carried the Cuisinart over to the counter and said out loud to my KA," It's ok Bessy (yes Bessy like the reliable milking cow). You've done great. We just have to give the new kid a chance." SERIOUSLY. I think I was losing my mind.

But the KA is cleaned up and set aside and I've really enjoyed using the Cuisinart. Cutting my job and time in half is wonderful!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%