Fondant Fopaux

Decorating By Crafty12B Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 4:22am by conchita

Crafty12B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crafty12B Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:57am
post #1 of 6

My friend and I made our first ever fondant cake. icon_smile.gif Not only had we never made a fondant cake, we had never made a cake or any of it's fixins from scratch! Today we made a red velvet cake from scratch, buttercream icing from scratch, and rolled buttercream fondant from scratch!!! The cake turned out wonderful!! Tasted and looked soooo good! The icing turned out amazing! It ended up having a whipped taste to it-not too sweet. But the fondant....well that was another story. It tasted good, however, after we put the food dye in the fondant to give it a blue color, we proceeded to roll out the fondant with the roller. The fondant started cracking and when we put it on the cake, it tore in many places. We were able to cover most of the tears up with little fishies that we made from more fondant. Does anyone know how to prevent the fondant from tearing or know what we did wrong? Would homemade marshmellow fondant work better than the homemade rolled buttercream fondant? Please let me know!
LL

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:04am
post #2 of 6

Anything will work better than rolled buttercream. It's good for cookies, but not as good for cakes. Because well, you know, it breaks easily when its in large pieces.

Plus I think it tastes like greasy fondant. blargh

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 6

You will only find out what works best for you by experimenting. What works for me might not work for you. If you read more threads about fondants you will see that many people have problems with each type. icon_smile.gif

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 6

I'm hardly as expert as others here, but I've tried rolled buttercream, marshmallow fondant (MMF) and Michele Foster fondant (MFF) - and either of the fondants works better than the rolled buttercream on cake. I like MMF but hate the sticky melted marshmallows. Have had pretty good luck with MFF - it is a little more complicated to make but not much. The big advantage to MFF (IMHO) is that you can knead in more shortening or more glycerin if it is too dry and cracking, or you can knead in more powdered sugar if it is too sticky.

The commercial fondants are significantly easier to handle for me (I have used some Fondarific) but can't get them locally, and can't justify the cost for hobby baking only - so I'm sticking with MFF right now. The recipe is here on CC.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:59am
post #5 of 6

I have never tried rolled buttercream. But I agree, MMF is great to work with. Satin Ice and others are too but cant justify the cost. LUV Rhondas ultimate MMF (in recipes) as it doesnt taste as sickeningly sweet as the others.

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:22am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

I have never tried rolled buttercream. But I agree, MMF is great to work with. and others are too but cant justify the cost. LUV Rhondas ultimate MMF (in recipes) as it doesnt taste as sickeningly sweet as the others.

yes I also agree with this comment I love her recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%