250 Cupcakes For A Wedding- Need Assitance!!!

Baking By mparsons Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 11:42pm by Swede-cakes

mparsons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mparsons Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 12:38am
post #1 of 15

I have an order for 250 cupcakes for a wedding and the bride has taken me for a ride! First, it was cake and then she decided on cupcakes. The, it was filled cupcakes and when she found out the approximate price, it was regular cupcakes. Then it has become a 3 week and couting ordeal on what flavors. Then it was what kind of stand and then she decided to make one so I am glad that I did not go ahead and order the one that I was going to rent to her. I am not into it enough to put that money out right now.

So, my questions are...how far in advance can I make and freeze the cc's? When I called around to the bakeries to see what they would charge for the regular ones all I got was choc and white and they were priced at around $7/dozen, so since she is doing "fancier" flavors, can I charge more then that? She is providing the liners and I will be delivering, but only like 3 or 4 miles from my house, so no big deal. I should mention that her husband to be is my best friends brother, so I want to keep some clients!

I know this all sounds "elementary school like", but I am lost and am hoping that someone will help! I will be buying the inserts and boxes to transport them, so I will have that in cost also. I will leave some for them to take the leftovers home in. As far as I know, there will be nothing but a swirl on the top, but that could change also!

I am so excited to dp this but now that it is coming up closer, I am starting to freak out a little I think!

Thanks for the help and advice!

14 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 12:59am
post #2 of 15

We did 800 mini's for a wedding that were filled with just a swirl top. We baked two days before the wedding, filled and iced the day before and were good to go. We kind of got into a rhythm of mixing batter, filling pans, baking, cooling, mxing, etc. We had music playing and the time went quicker than we thought it would.

We were a nervous wreck too, but don't let it get to you. You'll be surprised how the time will just flow for you and you'll get it done. Just know it will take lots of time, be prepared for that, and know you'll get it done. If you have your bc made in advance, that will make it go that much quicker.

Good luck, and don't worry, you'll do fine.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:01am
post #3 of 15

For 250, I'd bake, fill and swirl the top the day before. I transport in plastic boxes made for cupcake. (holds 1 doz, but stackable) I get $2.75 per cupcake for standard size.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:02am
post #4 of 15

I just did a 200 cupcake wedding a couple of weeks ago. I thought about getting cake boxes with inserts, but the cost I just couldn't swallow just for transporting cupcakes. I just got a couple of big sheet cake boxes, put some non-skid mats in the bottom and transported my iced cupcakes in that. They did not move at all! Easier and more cost effective in my opinion than spending money on boxes and inserts for that many cuppies.

Also, I baked all of my cupcakes the day before the wedding in the morning. I think it took me a total of 3 hours and I had 4 24-count cc pans. As one batch was cooking I was filling the next, so on and so forth until I was done. I made all of my icing the weekend before and stored it in a couple of large plastic containers. I purchased the large 18" icing bags as well so that I didn't have to fill and re-fill a lot. I also had to fill all 200 of them, THAT was a pain, but over all it was a fun experience. I should also mention that I did have leftovers that I froze and put them in my plastic cupcake carrier to test how they would taste a week later, and they were perfectly fine! I couldn't tell that they had been frozen at all and they were still very moist!

One note is to CHARGE a fee for set-up. I didn't charge set-up/delivery fee because the venu was about 10 minutes from my house, but it took my DH and I 45 minutes to place all of the cuppies. I will definitely charge next time, no exceptions!

Hope this helps and good luck!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:21am
post #5 of 15

You're going to do fine.

Yes; you can freeze cupcakes. Make sure they are well wrapped so no unwanted flavors are absorbed. I put mine on half sheet pan let them freeze rock hard and then stuff in zipper bags. Obviously they aren't decorated. I start pulling about 2 days before and make sure everyone knows not to call me.

Charge what you need to charge. Yes, you can bump the price. Unfortunately, if you're expecting to get references; low balling the price, even for friends will come back to bite you. You're an artist, don't demean your work by not charging enough.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 5:51am
post #6 of 15

Ditto all the above plus:
It's worth mentioning in case you haven't done this yet: get a signed contract. This person has already changed their mind a lot. You don't want a last minute change or the client coming back and saying that's not what was agreed upon.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:10am
post #7 of 15

good advice all the way around.

I think you'll do better dealing with the big volume baking than you will dealing with a bride like this one! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 7:50am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

We did 800 mini's for a wedding that were filled with just a swirl top. We baked two days before the wedding, filled and iced the day before and were good to go. We kind of got into a rhythm of mixing batter, filling pans, baking, cooling, mxing, etc. We had music playing and the time went quicker than we thought it would.

We were a nervous wreck too, but don't let it get to you. You'll be surprised how the time will just flow for you and you'll get it done. Just know it will take lots of time, be prepared for that, and know you'll get it done. If you have your bc made in advance, that will make it go that much quicker.

OMG 800 cup cakes! I bet you didn't want to see another cupcake for a long time!

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 8:29am
post #9 of 15

I recently did my first wedding with cupcakes - only 80 but that was by far the most I've done! I found the best thing was to have the boxes with inserts - I used these: http://www.packagingplace.com.au/_product_48304/CCT505-340-110_24_Cupcake_Transporter I baked, transfered to cooling rack, refilled the tins, then put the cooled cupcakes in the boxes. I could stack the boxes up and piped the buttercream with them still in the box so it was a great way to manage the lack of space and avoid having cakes everywhere!

mparsons Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 11:50am
post #10 of 15

Ohhh goodness. I SO appreciate the responses and advice. I will definately think about everything that you all have said and will probably have more questions as time goes on, so please bear wtih me!

I am going to go ahead and get a contract together and tell her that it is routine- nothing against her, cause its not!

I forgot to mention that she wanted a tasting. I sorta think that its kinda selfish considering that I am diong for a discount anyway, but what are your all's thoughts on it? She pretty much knows what flavors she wants and the icing, but "wants to know what they will look like". I seriously thought of saying do on cc and pull cupcakes up and that is what they will look like, but I didn't. I haven't said yes or no to the tasting and haven't said that there will be a cost or not. I mean you have to make a full batch of each flavor, so I think we may be just trying to get some free ones out of this!!! I guess though I could always take her 1 or 2 of each flavor and make them for her on a weekend we are having a family dinner or something and that could be a dessert. That would make me feel much better about the whole thing.

Again, I appreciate everything!!!!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

OMG 800 cup cakes! I bet you didn't want to see another cupcake for a long time!

You are sooo right about that. thankfully we get over it in time for the next large order like that..... lol But there is always a great feeling of satisfaction when it's done. (that was only part of that wedding too, there was also a large assortment of homemade candies PLUS a "special" carved cake that they actually considered their wedding cake. ) At least the candies could be made ahead of time.

Paigeness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paigeness Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 15

Good luck with this order.

I think it is way past time for you to put your foot down and stop letting this client dictate how you run your business.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 15

All good advice you've been given here. When is the dlvry date for this order? Three weeks from now? And she wants a tasting? Forget the tasting. You're giving her a discounted rate and it sounds like you're going above and beyond handling her fickleness. Confidently assure her that the flavors she's chosen will be delicious, and have a beautiful swirl of icing on top (or however you'll decorate them).

I think you should let her know that all decisions and therefore pricing must be finalized by (date) which is two weeks prior to dlvry so that you have time to secure all materials and ingredients (and give yourself a chance to breathe! icon_smile.gif ) If she's chosen fancier flavors than your usual basics, charge more. Write it all up in a contract like you said, at that 2-week date, and get paid prior to delivery. If she's taken aback, assure her that it's your normal way of doing business so that you and she are on the same page.

I wish you much luck with this order! You can definitely do this!! thumbs_up.gif

mparsons Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:21pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede-cakes

All good advice you've been given here. When is the dlvry date for this order? Three weeks from now? And she wants a tasting? Forget the tasting. You're giving her a discounted rate and it sounds like you're going above and beyond handling her fickleness. Confidently assure her that the flavors she's chosen will be delicious, and have a beautiful swirl of icing on top (or however you'll decorate them).

I think you should let her know that all decisions and therefore pricing must be finalized by (date) which is two weeks prior to dlvry so that you have time to secure all materials and ingredients (and give yourself a chance to breathe! icon_smile.gif ) If she's chosen fancier flavors than your usual basics, charge more. Write it all up in a contract like you said, at that 2-week date, and get paid prior to delivery. If she's taken aback, assure her that it's your normal way of doing business so that you and she are on the same page.

I wish you much luck with this order! You can definitely do this!! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks! It is July 10th, so we have alittle time. I think that the 2 weeks prior is a great idea, so I am going to e-mail her this evening. Does anyone have a sample contract they would let me see? I have no idea where to start!

Thanks again!

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 11:42pm
post #15 of 15

I don't mind pm'ing mine to you. Use whatever you like on it, and tweak to fit your needs. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%