Getting Fondant To Dry...

Decorating By Thanksharla Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 4:45pm by dguerrant

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 11

I have a chocolate MMF "plague" that I need for a cake due tomorrow. I rolled it way to thin this week and left it to dry. I went to pick it up today and it snapped in half!! Luckily I have some left and rolled and cut it out again. Is there anyway to get it to dry out really fast??

Please help!

10 replies
CakeFaerieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeFaerieK Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 11

Not a clue! I did my dinosaur and couldn't get the fondant to dry and had to use gum paste instead.
Try gumpaste!
Or have you considered doing a chocolate transfer?
Good luck!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 12:07am
post #3 of 11

I haven't had any luck getting fondant to dry fast. If you have some chocolate around and something you can mold it in to get the shape you need, maybe you could make a plaque out of that as a back-up?

astone83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
astone83 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 12:17am
post #4 of 11

I always put mine in the fridge to firm it fast.

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 2:31am
post #5 of 11

Do you have gumpaste you could add to it? Is there any way to fix the crack and maybe cover with another piece of fresh fondant. The old one would give you the stiffness, while the new one covers the crack???

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:06am
post #6 of 11

Mix the fondant with either some gumpaste or tylose to help it dry faster and harder.

Another fast drying solution that I use all the time is to turn on the light in the oven and place the fondant pieces in there overnight or for a few hours...the warmth helps the pieces dry faster...just don't put any colored pieces right up next to the light or else it will fade the color.

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 10:12am
post #7 of 11

Thank you for the replies everyone. I didn't have any gumpaste or tylose powder on hand. Nor have I worked with those 2 things before. It's on my list of new things to learn.

Here is what I did. My chocolate MMF is already dry enough. (Stupid MMF! It's been a thorn in my side for 2 days!) Anyways, what I did was shaped it, put on wax paper on a baking sheet. Turned on the oven as low as it would go, 170 degrees and put in the oven for about 15 minutes. Then I took it out to cool. Low and behold it worked!

Hopefully, it will just keep drying good until it needs to go on the front of the cake.

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 11

I had wondered about doing that. I am glad you tried it and reported back. I wasn't sure if it would be hot enough to melt it or would dry it out. I love learning the easy way! icon_lol.gif

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 11

Oh Wow good to know! Thanks for sharing your tip!

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 11

To dry my pieces fast I also use 50 % fondant and 50 % gumpaste. I put my decorations on a pizza tray (the ones that have the holes on the bottom. I grease the pan and then put the item on, Set near a fan on top of a glass to add height. this allows the fan's air to circulate under the pans too works good

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:45pm
post #11 of 11

i use a dehydrator

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%