Any Suggestions For Painting On Fondant

Decorating By Ladybug78 Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 10:37pm by katies_cakes

Ladybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug78 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there,
Does anyone have any suggestions for painting zebra stripes on a fondant cake. I used black fondant before and didn't really like the look. But using straight color doesn't seem to dry? Any help, TIA

6 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 7

They sell a zebra stencil. You could stencil the pattern with royal or butter cream frosting.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 7

I painted them on with Americolor super black and it dried. I have painted things with wilton's black before and it can take a week to dry.

Ladybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug78 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 7

Wow, I checked out the stencil and it is pretty cool, thanks.

wasabi106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wasabi106 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 7

When I paint on fondant I mix a little of the wilton gel color with clear vanilla or clear alcohol (vodka or triple sec) it is my understanding that the acohol evaporates which helps it to dry. It always work great for me, usually dries within a few hours. It's how I painted the zebra stripes on my purse cake

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi106

When I paint on fondant I mix a little of the wilton gel color with clear vanilla or clear alcohol (vodka or triple sec) it is my understanding that the acohol evaporates which helps it to dry. It always work great for me, usually dries within a few hours. It's how I painted the zebra stripes on my purse cake

I do the same and the alcohol does evaporate.

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 7

iv not done sebra stripes (yet) but i paint on my cakes alot, i just use gel colours mixed with a tiny drop of pure vodka, it does take a while to dary but just leave it overnight and it should be fine

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%