Fondant And Ribbon On Board . . .

Decorating By ladyk333 Updated 11 May 2010 , 3:43pm by ladyk333

ladyk333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyk333 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 9

I am finishing my cake board with fondant for the first time (will use the "ribbon" technique), but I would still like to have fabric ribbon to cover the edge of the board. I normally use the Wilton foil on the cake board and hot glue gun the ribbon on the edge before putting the cake on. With the ribbon technique, the cake will already be on the board - do I still do the hot glue gun around the edge for ribbon, or does someone have a more ingenious idea?

8 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:49am
post #2 of 9

I never use hot glue to attach a ribbon to cake board. I use different techniques depending on a few factors.

you can wrap the ribbon around the board and just pin it in the back to the board. I'm not a HUGE fan of that, as I find that sometimes the ribbon gets a little loose. I recently discovered glue dots that scrapbookers use. I now tend to use these to attach the ribbon to the board. I've alos used some royal icing in spots to attach the ribbon.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:53am
post #3 of 9

I use clear fabric glue (aka tacky glue) to attach the ribbon around the board - non-toxic and easy to use.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 9

As PPs mentioned glue dots, tacky glue or I also sometimes use double sided tape at six positions around the boards edge so that it does not slip. It all depends what I have to hand as to what I use.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 9

I've used piping gel on fondant covered boards. Does't take much though.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 9

I don't know what the ribbon technique is, so this may not apply. Whenever I cover my board with fondant, I trim it off at the top edge rather than wrapping it around the side of the board. No concern about gluing anything to fondant.

I also you glue dots or double sided tape. Whenever I try to use a glue gun, it's lumpy under the ribbon.

I find it interesting that you put the ribbon on your board before you put the cake on. Attaching the ribbon to the cake board is the VERY LAST thing I do! icon_smile.gif

ladyk333 Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 9

Good info - I just discovered that you all had responded - I'm obviously not used to this! I'll try the glue dots for this next project. I prepare the board before putting the cake on so that I don't have to move the board around much with the cake on it. Also, since I've used hot glue, I didn't want to use it with the cake on the board. This time I'll try doing the ribbon last, with the glue dots.

Another question, do you put fondant on the board in advance and let it dry, or do you do it just before the cake goes on?

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:43am
post #8 of 9

Smear some piping gel or RI over the board, scrape off the excess (or else it'll show through the fondant), lay the fondant over, smooth, trim off the excess then let it sit for a day or 2 to dry. Once dry, apply ribbon then add the cake over it.

If you do the board ahead of time and let it dry, you don't have to worry about putting dents into it when you add the cake and finish decorating.

ladyk333 Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 9

Excellent! Thanks again! I'm doing a spaceship cake and need a fairly detailed background, so I thought the fondant covered board would be the way to go. This info will help tremendously! I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Cheers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%