Help With Flat Cookies

Baking By Ladybug78 Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 12:43pm by Ladybug78

Ladybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug78 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 13

Hi there, I really need some help with my cookies. They keep coming out like flat pancakes. What am I doing wrong? TIA

12 replies
confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 13

Are you meaning they are spreading too much and not holding their shape? Sounds to me like you need more flour in your recipe. What recipe are you using?

Ladybug78 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 13

I tried 2 recipes the Tollhouse and joyofbaking.com. More flour? I added 2 1/4 cups and mixed it in my KA

confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 13

The whole recipe had 2 1/4 cups? A lot of people on this site have good luck with the no fail sugar cookie recipe (can be found in the recipe section) but I haven't had as much luck with it. I use this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Soft-Sugar-Cookies-V/Detail.aspx

only I add another 1/2 (and sometimes up to 3/4) cup more flour to the recipe. I like the dough to be almost crumbly but I can squish it together into a ball. That way my cookies hold their shape like these
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1609150&sub=1609152
and have nice crisp edges.
Check it out and see if the ratio of wet ingredients to dry are similar to the recipe that you are using.

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 13

I don't know the recipes you are referencing however, if they contain butter it is too soft.
Make sure your dough is cold and then stick them back in the fridge or freezer to get them cold after you have cut them.
If they are drop cookies that contain butter I do the same.
It might just be the recipe you are using. Google a fake recipe myth online called Newman Marcus cookies. That will give you a really hearty choclate chip cookie that does not spread at all.
Good luck on your efforts

confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 13

Oh, also how thick are you rolling out the dough? I find that i get the best results rolling to 3/8 inch.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 13

Ooops, I think I'm confused! I'm thinking sugar cookies! Sorry. I still think more flour though.

Ladybug78 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 13

I guess I should have clarified :0) I am trying to make "perfect" chocolate chip cookies for a cookie bouquet. I tried chilling the dough, and they still spread. The dough was really really soft, so maybe adding more flour in 1/2 cup increments might work?

Ladybug78 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 8:26pm
post #9 of 13

thanks Confectionsofahousewife,
I liked the cookie tips site you suggested it was helpful. I am new to the serious cookie making, who knew it was so intricate.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:05pm
post #10 of 13

Haha! No problem. Sorry for all the extra information!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 13

always good to have extra information....your cookies are very nice!

If you want to make cookies for a bouquet, try using a roll out cookie dough like NFSC and add mini chips. If you're set on your ccc recipe, try adding more flour to make it sturdy, or purchase the Wilton treat pans where you press the dough into their shape, add a stick and bake. HTH

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 13

google karens cookies, she has a rolled ccc recipe that i use all the time!

Ladybug78 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:43pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you sooo much, all this has been so helpful. From the flour to the websites you guys rock.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%