Questions About Cookies On Skewers/sticks

Baking By katnmouse Updated 12 May 2010 , 7:51pm by Lcubed82

katnmouse Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 12

I've tried to look through the forum and read the posts about cookies on sticks, but I still I need a little clarification. I'm going to try the after baking method, so...

If I bake my cookies first, do I lift each hot cookie off with a spatula , then put a skewer in it, then lay it on a rack to cool, then repeat? or

Do I need to plan my cookie placement on the baking sheet in order to put skewers into them while they are all still on the baking sheet fresh from the oven. and

Do I need to use a cookie sheet (no lip) or a lipped pan?

Thank you CCers for all your are truly a wealth of info. thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
bonniebakes Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 12

I bake my sticks/skewers in the cookies, so I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you at all, but....

I use pans without sides.

I space my cookies on the pans keeping in mind where the sticks/skewers will go (I put them in after the cookie is on the pan, but not cooked), and how I will need to put them in (as flat as possible without knocking into other cookies around it).

maybe these threads will help more than I can...

cookies on sticks process

cookies on sticks

toleshed Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 12:04am
post #3 of 12

I "glue" my sticks on with Royal when they have cooled.

bmoser24 Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:59am
post #4 of 12

I just tried the after baking method myself, I usually put in before baking..... the cookie was a small 1 in. and i baked on a flat sheet no sides. I inserted the stick while the cookie was still hot, right after removing from the oven. It worked just fine,,,remember these were small size cookies. I tried to insert into cookies after cooled 5 min. and the cookie began to crack at the entrance. The key I think is hot.
Some I was able to just put in the way I baked on sheet. Some I slid off and leaving on parchment and gently rearranged to make room for scewer.

bmoser24 Posted 9 May 2010 , 6:31am
post #5 of 12

BTW... i have now used different size cookies up to 4 in. and the after baking method worked great... I like it better than before. I can cook more cookies at a time now and I know where i'm placing the scewer. I use a cake mix recipe for my cookies and bake very light so they are soft...and the scewer still stayed in nicely!

leily Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:47am
post #6 of 12

I remove my cookies from the cookie sheet to a cooling rack RIGHT away when they come out of the oven, and then RIGHT away insert the skewers. LIke mentioned above, you don't want to wait any amount of time for them to cool or they can crack. I have done all of my cookies like this on sticks and it works well for me, I have a lot less oven time because I can bake more at one time.

cookiedecorator Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 12

How thick do you have to roll your cookies so that you can insert the stick?

luv2bake6 Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 12

I roll them 3/8 inch thick

krm52200 Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:39pm
post #9 of 12

do you have to use skewers or will regular lollipop sticks work? Im interested in giving this a try. My sticks always end up coming loose when I put them in before baking. I have a small batch due tomorrow so I'd love to try something else that may work better.

donica1216 Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 12

I tried something different that has worked for me everytime. After you roll out your dough, flip cookie around and press stick on back of cookie making an indention, but not too hard that it goes thorugh the other side. Then, take a small piece of cookie dough and patch the stick on the back. Carefully turn it back over and place on the pan. It bakes nicely and you can't really see the added dough.

cricket0616 Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 12

I have made numerous cookie bouquets and I always put my sticks on before baking. I roll my cookie dough a little thinker than normal. Lay my dowel on the pan and then place the cookie dough on top. I press down gentle around the stick to make sure the dough has formed around the stick but not too hard as to mess up the design. I found that it was easier than trying to deal with a hot cookie and not to break it after they were bake.

Lcubed82 Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:51pm
post #12 of 12

Donica, I tried a variation of your idea this last time, and it worked great! Take a small piece of dough, roll it into "snake" about 3/4 the height of the cookie. Lay on cookie sheet, press stick into it, then lay cookie over top, and press gently. This way, I did not have to move the cookie but once.

In the past, I inserted stick, then turned over to patch back of cookie, then turned right way up to cook. This works well too, as long as dough is sturdy and well chilled.

I have also tried RI or cand melt stick to back of cooked cookie, but did not like the look- it seemed messy to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%